Is DA internship useful if you want to do civil litigation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is DA internship useful if you want to do civil litigation?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 am

I have an offer to work at the local DA's office this summer. But I'm not that committed to criminal prosecution. I think it's interesting, but I'd eventually like to work with a firm. How are firms likely to view working for the DA? Is this experience useful?

rad lulz

Re: Is DA internship useful if you want to do civil litigation?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 am

1L summer?

Doesn't matter for OCI

In interviews say you got a lot of hands on experience and enjoyed the fast paced high stakes environment

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks. Yeah 1L summer. I forgot to mention that during the fall and spring I'll be working for the us attorney. But they have a civil division, so it seems more applicable to my long term goals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:10 am

1L summer doesn't matter, true, but if you to into a DAs office that will let you write a brief, or at least part of one, it's a nice plus to have a writing sample other than your 1L LRW stuff. I found it very helpful to have a brief I had written at a DAs office for 2L interviews.

Return to “Legal Employment”