How to turn down other offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GMX2000

How to turn down other offers?

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 am

I'm applying for internships for my 1L summer, and I had I guess a pretty basic question. I'm considering applying for multiple internships to increase my chances, but if it turns out at least two send me an offer, how should I go about turning down the one(s) I don't choose? Is there a particular etiquette for this, or is it just expected that 1L students will turn down some internship offers?

Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: How to turn down other offers?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMX2000

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 am

rad lulz wrote:"Considering" applying to multiple?

Dude it's so late; you needed to have sent out like 100 apps yesterday

If you get more than one just tell the one you aren't taking (politely) that you found something more in line with your regional goals/practice area of interest/what have you

Yeah, I know. But I actually applied to one they made seem like a sure thing, only for me to discover there was a huge difference between applying for an externship (they were taking a bunch of students) and internship (apparently they were only taking one...). Not an excuse I know (nor would it matter if it was) but bleh. Anyway, thanks. I'll go ahead and apply to all the ones I was considering.

cim_can

Postby cim_can » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 am

I'm pretty sure that people assume you're applying to more than one job. A polite phonecall would suffice.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am

This is unbelievable. Like I honestly cannot believe you've been so late.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Employers, unlike someone you're dating, don't expect to be the only ones you're considering. Apply broadly and quickly.

GMX2000

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Gotcha. Thanks everyone. I've got three applications ready to send out and I'm looking for other opportunities as I type.

Wish me luck.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm

GMX2000 wrote:Gotcha. Thanks everyone. I've got three applications ready to send out and I'm looking for other opportunities as I type.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! There will still be opportunities, they're just no longer the best ones. Thank goodness you're just a 1L and it doesn't really matter what you do.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 pm

The best opportunities (with the exception of the unicorn known as the 1L SA) are actually probably in April. 1L inhouse jerbs and things of that sort, so OP is not totally lost. The problem is that at this point the risk of getting absolutely 0 is also much higher. The fact that OP has waited for so long does not make me optimistic about their ability to get a sweet in house gig or something along those lines. In your position, I would also contact professors at this point about being an RA.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

GMX2000

Postby GMX2000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 am

Actually, I managed to find two internships that were just posted on the 28th, so I'm jumping on them. I don't really feel comfortable waiting any longer than I already have, so those April openings you mention pokemon will have to go to students with more balls than I. :p (assuming I actually get one of these internships...*crosses fingers* I'm also contacting other places too, though)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 am

GMX2000 wrote:Actually, I managed to find two internships that were just posted on the 28th, so I'm jumping on them. I don't really feel comfortable waiting any longer than I already have, so those April openings you mention pokemon will have to go to students with more balls than I. :p (assuming I actually get one of these internships...*crosses fingers* I'm also contacting other places too, though)

I'm surprised you're so nonchalant about this. I've been looking since December and have sent apps out and have only heard back positively from PI/volunteer places.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 am

GMX2000 wrote:Actually, I managed to find two internships that were just posted on the 28th, so I'm jumping on them. I don't really feel comfortable waiting any longer than I already have, so those April openings you mention pokemon will have to go to students with more balls than I. :p (assuming I actually get one of these internships...*crosses fingers* I'm also contacting other places too, though)

What ranking of school do you go to?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 am

Did you miss the part where I said you needed to have applied for hundreds of things months ago?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 am

You need to be a lot more aggressive with this. I'm not sure what your specific circumstances are, but April really isn't the time to cherry pick jobs to apply for when you've got nothing lined up.

edit: scooped

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 am

The original post assumes that you've received multiple job offers. At this point, since that's doubtful, this whole thread is probably premature.

And, in my opinion, not knowing the answer to the question is pretty squarely in the "having aspergers territory."

Return to “Legal Employment”