Late Start Date Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
js081056

New

Late Start Date

Post by js081056 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 pm

My firm just let me know that I won't start work until early to mid-November. I graduate in May and I take the bar exam at the end of July. I plan to travel all of August. Any suggestions for what I should do in September and October? I get bored easily and I'd like to do something legal related.

What do people think about working at a local State's Attorneys Office (DA) and doing some trial work and motion work? (I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do that for awhile at the firm and I don't have any real courtroom experience from law school). I could also do legal aid work. Any other ideas? or suggestions?

Thanks!

2013applicant

New

Re: Late Start Date

Post by 2013applicant » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Your firm probably wont like you doing legal work before your start date because it can make your conflicts check a pain in the ass or raise other issues. If you insist on it, I'd check with your firm first.

js081056

New

Post by js081056 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

2013applicant wrote:Your firm probably wont like you doing legal work before your start date because it can make your conflicts check a pain in the ass or raise other issues. If you insist on it, I'd check with your firm first.
Great point. Do you think they would object to legal aid work? Or volunteering with a government agency?

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Personally, I would travel all of September and October too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm

js081056 wrote:
2013applicant wrote:Your firm probably wont like you doing legal work before your start date because it can make your conflicts check a pain in the ass or raise other issues. If you insist on it, I'd check with your firm first.
Great point. Do you think they would object to legal aid work? Or volunteering with a government agency?
Legal aid is more likely alright than other sorts of legal work. But my only support for that thought is that a lot of the firms in Chicago fund summer pro bono fellowships for incoming associates. Someone else may be able to give you better information.

Honestly? Big firm life is tolerable at best, man. I'd spend the extra time working out, sitting on a beach, and pleasure reading like a fiend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Ave wrote:Personally, I would travel all of September and October too
this kind of assumes people have the money to go traveling for 3 straight months

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=205524

wondering now if it's worth it to take out more plus loans (like 5-10k) just to have some more wiggle room for the summer and fall.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
this kind of assumes people have the money to go traveling for 3 straight months

wondering now if it's worth it to take out more plus loans (like 5-10k) just to have some more wiggle room for the summer and fall.
And why did this post need to be anonymous?

js081056

New

Post by js081056 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm able to afford traveling in August, but not in Sept & Oct. I can afford not to work though. Just looking for ideas to keep me busy.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:32 am

js081056 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm able to afford traveling in August, but not in Sept & Oct. I can afford not to work though. Just looking for ideas to keep me busy.
Enjoy your free time. Don't do anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am

Master Tofu wrote:
js081056 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Enjoy your free time. Don't do anything.
Dear god this.

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

Watch an entire series on Netflix. Teach yourself how to knit via youtube videos (surprisingly relaxing, actually). Take a cooking class. Buy a crockpot and learn how to make a few great, 10-12 hour recipes that freeze well. Read some fiction. Work out, or do a couch to 5k program.

Basically be lazy, recover from a month of traveling, and by the time your start date comes around, you'll be just the tiniest bit stir crazy and work will be a really welcome change of pace.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 am

Also, would like to point out that November is not a "late start date." January or February or August of the next year after you graduate is a "late start date."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

js081056 wrote:
Sorry if this derails the thread, but what does a conflicts check involve? Isn't it just making sure that you never worked on another side of the issue in a matter in which the firm was involved, or worked on a part of that matter when working in government? If my understanding is correct, I find it difficult to see how legal aid type work could ever really create a conflict, right? I guess perhaps it could happen in a rare/tangential scenario if firms are involved as pro bono counsel, but even then it's not like firms are often on opposite sides of a pro bono matter AFAIK.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
js081056 wrote:
Sorry if this derails the thread, but what does a conflicts check involve? Isn't it just making sure that you never worked on another side of the issue in a matter in which the firm was involved, or worked on a part of that matter when working in government? If my understanding is correct, I find it difficult to see how legal aid type work could ever really create a conflict, right? I guess perhaps it could happen in a rare/tangential scenario if firms are involved as pro bono counsel, but even then it's not like firms are often on opposite sides of a pro bono matter AFAIK.

My conflicts checks advice was geared more towards his suggestion of working in the local DA office. Legal aid is far less likely to cause an issue. However, it still remains good practice to run any legal work you plan on doing by your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm

2013applicant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
js081056 wrote:

My conflicts checks advice was geared more towards his suggestion of working in the local DA office. Legal aid is far less likely to cause an issue. However, it still remains good practice to run any legal work you plan on doing by your firm.
I posted a thread on a related issue and no one brought this up. I plan on doing legal aid type work during the semester in which there is no conceivable way my (upcoming summer) firm is involved. I've already arranged for this to happen so I really can't ask them after the fact. (And I already worked occasionally for this organization/had it on my resume before they hired me.) I'm thinking it will be cool if I just make sure to tell them when I start working there next year, yeah?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I posted a thread on a related issue and no one brought this up. I plan on doing legal aid type work during the semester in which there is no conceivable way my (upcoming summer) firm is involved. I've already arranged for this to happen so I really can't ask them after the fact. (And I already worked occasionally for this organization/had it on my resume before they hired me.) I'm thinking it will be cool if I just make sure to tell them when I start working there next year, yeah?
This is fine. Firms are aware people do internships (even at other firms for that matter). In most cases, they just ask you to fill out a form listing every matter you've ever worked on to make sure there are no conflicts. Even if there is a conflict, the remedy is typically just to screen you from communications relating to the matter. It's generally not a big deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”