Is taking a job at a pi/workers comp firm a bad idea? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Is taking a job at a pi/workers comp firm a bad idea?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
as if its ridiculous? you've got to be kidding me.

I do not understand you. You came into a thread only to say that the phrase "more than they could ever dream of" is stupid. Obviously the statement isn't literal, in any event, I really don't understand your issue with saying that partners at a successful plaintiff's firm make more (and it can be much more) than partners at a v100 make.

Why are you so upset by the phrase that you feel the need to comment but offer no advice to OP?
This is TLS. That is what they do. Most of these guys and gals are trying to get into the most "prestigious" Big Law firm, so their upper-class parents can show them off like show horses to their buddies in the 'burbs. There cannot possibly be any employment opportunities outside the 250+ attorney firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Exactly. Ill take the money at a small firm without the prestige anyway over BigFLAW

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 am

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote: didn't you read, brah?
more than the vast majority of biglaw partners can even dream!!

You will likely never make as much as the the partners at a decent plaintiff's mass tort firm do, even in the unlikely event you make partner at a v10, so I don't get why you are mocking that statement as if its ridiculous.

Practicing attorney here. Not a plaintiff side guy (but I do have a few plaintiff's case that I brought into my firm). Most of the high end plaintiff's attorneys, the real high end guys, make way more than biglaw attorneys. And to be honest, its not even the biggest plaintiff's attorneys that make more - its some of the smaller ones as well. If Any of the name partners at Sulivan Papan or Godosky & Gentile or other similar firms woke up and only earned what a biglaw partner was making, he might jump off a bridge...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 am

reasonable_man wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote: didn't you read, brah?
more than the vast majority of biglaw partners can even dream!!

You will likely never make as much as the the partners at a decent plaintiff's mass tort firm do, even in the unlikely event you make partner at a v10, so I don't get why you are mocking that statement as if its ridiculous.

Practicing attorney here. Not a plaintiff side guy (but I do have a few plaintiff's case that I brought into my firm). Most of the high end plaintiff's attorneys, the real high end guys, make way more than biglaw attorneys. And to be honest, its not even the biggest plaintiff's attorneys that make more - its some of the smaller ones as well. If Any of the name partners at Sulivan Papan or Godosky & Gentile or other similar firms woke up and only earned what a biglaw partner was making, he might jump off a bridge...
It's so true. That's why I dubbed the term BIGFLAW!

Most Biglaw guys probably couldn't hack it as a small PI attorney where personality/networking is so essential. One thing I learned is that the ability to get referrals and clients in the door is to be relatable. Without that, it's a tough business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Original OP Here: Sorry for the late response.
So to clarify, I am a 3L about to graduate. I go to a T-20 school and have a around median-gpa right now, but was top 25% in my 1L year (got two unexpected bad grades in 2L unforunately =( ), have worked for the federal government (a really good, paid, basically student attorney position), have experience at my law school clinic that includes really big litigation (for a law student) victories (20k+ awards for my clients), and have other experience that includes judicial internships and work for law firms, and research for professors. Basically, I have taken no breaks, working even through winter and christmas breaks. Not sure if it was all worth it, since I'm not exactly looking at amazing employment post graduation.

I guess my question was related mostly to whether I can move on from this kind of firm if I take the job, assuming I'm offered. It's a good firm but they are basically personal injury and workers' comp. My interest is in labor and employment law and while workers' comp does touch on that, I'm just worried I'm never going to be able to get into the field I want. What do you guys think?

On a side note, anyone know what these firms pay in the NYC/DC/Boston markets? In-case they ask me what salary I'm expecting.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original OP Here: Sorry for the late response.
So to clarify, I am a 3L about to graduate. I go to a T-20 school and have a around median-gpa right now, but was top 25% in my 1L year (got two unexpected bad grades in 2L unforunately =( ), have worked for the federal government (a really good, paid, basically student attorney position), have experience at my law school clinic that includes really big litigation (for a law student) victories (20k+ awards for my clients), and have other experience that includes judicial internships and work for law firms, and research for professors. Basically, I have taken no breaks, working even through winter and christmas breaks. Not sure if it was all worth it, since I'm not exactly looking at amazing employment post graduation.

I guess my question was related mostly to whether I can move on from this kind of firm if I take the job, assuming I'm offered. It's a good firm but they are basically personal injury and workers' comp. My interest is in labor and employment law and while workers' comp does touch on that, I'm just worried I'm never going to be able to get into the field I want. What do you guys think?

On a side note, anyone know what these firms pay in the NYC/DC/Boston markets? In-case they ask me what salary I'm expecting.

Thanks!
Op:

I feel for you because it seems like you really did what you were supposed to and now you aren’t really faced with great employment options. I would say this: do not turn down a job at this point because you absolutely should not graduate without an offer of employment if it can be avoided. However, you should continue to look (and look hard) for job positions in firms that are doing they type of work you want to do. If such a position opens up and you are able to interview and are offered a job, take it. And I mean take it even if you are only at the PI firm for a few weeks, or a few months or even if the job becomes available before you even start at the PI firm. You owe nothing to anyone and a firm like that can restock a young associate in less than 2 weeks if need be. Also, firms that focus on WC are sort of on the fringe of the profession and will have no real connections to a firm doing a lot of labor law. So don’t worry too much about your reputation here. The longer you stay at the WC firm, the harder it will be to make a move. If you stay more than a year to a year and a half, it will be damn near impossible to move to a different practice area.

As far as starting salary – for a firm in that practice area it will be low. If it is a smaller shop think 45kish. If it is a bigger firm in that area, more like 45K to 65K.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Original OP Here:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately basically every single labor or employment law position available is for people who already have "at least 2-3 years of L&E experience." I don't understand how I'm going to get that experience if there are no entry-level positions available...blagh. =(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”