2L Non-Biglaw Dilemma

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Non-Biglaw Dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Offer 1: Higher paid though nowhere near biglaw. Work for a research institution in an area of law that I am not primarily interested in nor is there a big law market for that particular type of work. I can continue working as a 3L, but probably no chance of it being a real job post-graduation.

Offer 2: Less money. Work is more "legal," probably looks slightly better on my resume, 1% chance of it leading to a job after graduation (basically, I will have a chance if someone leaves). Networking possibilities are probably slightly higher here because of people's background.

Target: wanted biglaw but struck out. Looking for meaningful employment after graduation, also hoping for clerkships.

Agent

Re: 2L Non-Biglaw Dilemma

Postby Agent » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Need more info.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Based on the limited info, I would probably take offer 2. It doesn't sound like either of those have a good shot at permanent employment, and so the question of "Which of these on my resume will be more likely to make someone else want to hire me?" should be your main concern. Sounds like 2 is better option for this, even if less money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Agent wrote:Need more info.

Both places are kind of unique so it is hard for me to provide more info. They are both non-profit.
Offer 1 deals with healthcare/public policy type questions. Will not consider 1Ls. The legal element is mostly academic, not the main focus of the institution.
Offer 2 deals with legislative work, advising on new legislature. Would consider 1Ls. The legal element is the only element.

I am at a t-14. Above median if that matters. I am hesitant to provide more info cause places are a little specialized at what they do.
PS, if it was not for the money, I would have taken offer 2. If they are fungible however, why not get paid more for it.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Agent wrote:Need more info.

Both places are kind of unique so it is hard for me to provide more info. They are both non-profit.
Offer 1 deals with healthcare/public policy type questions. Will not consider 1Ls. The legal element is mostly academic, not the main focus of the institution.
Offer 2 deals with legislative work, advising on new legislature. Would consider 1Ls. The legal element is the only element.

I am at a t-14. Above median if that matters. I am hesitant to provide more info cause places are a little specialized at what they do.
PS, if it was not for the money, I would have taken offer 2. If they are fungible however, why not get paid more for it.

2 sounds like the better option, shame it doesn't pay as much, but probably worth it in the long run. I would do that and then gun hard next fall for small firms and state supreme and state appellate clerkships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Original OP, accepted the more "legal" job... now however, a fortune 500 legal internship is also in the picture?
Should I jump boat?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original OP, accepted the more "legal" job... now however, a fortune 500 legal internship is also in the picture?
Should I jump boat?

Look out for yourself. That does mean, however, that reneging is bad where it hurts your chances of employment, but that is probably not the case.

If you get a better job, take it.

I got a part-time clerkship at a firm for summer, took it, 2 weeks later got a SA interview. If the SA firm offers, i will leave without hesitation because the pay is better, its full-time, its more interesting work imo, and the firm hires from SA class

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 am

Option 2. That will most likely get you to where you want to be. As someone who was a campaign director on a presidential campaign, you'd be surprised what sorts of connections you'll get thru the legislative sector. Don't worry about the money. Money will work itself out, particularly if youre at a T-14.

EDIT- Didn't see the fortune 500 job. Take it. There's only one person in this world who is looking out for your best interests. I'm sure you can guess who

Return to “Legal Employment”