1L: NLJ 250 vs In-House

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L: NLJ 250 vs In-House

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Briefly, here is the situation:

NLJ 250 firm. Small office in an area that I would prefer not to be in but I can tolerate. Pays market and history suggests that the will lead to a return offer and then a permanent position provided I don't screw up. The firm has offices in areas that I would like to live. Those offices are small as well.

In-house. Perhaps the largest company in the world. If not, it's close. Pays the same as the firm, in an area that I want to live. Also have the opportunity to work part time during 2L year. I am not sure if I would have the opportunity to take a permanent position. It's possible, but not near as likely as the firm.

Take the job with long term prospects?

Agent

Re: 1L: NLJ 250 vs In-House

Postby Agent » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I would.

Anonymous User wrote:Take the job with long term prospects?

FSCU25

Postby FSCU25 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Briefly, here is the situation:

NLJ 250 firm. Small office in an area that I would prefer not to be in but I can tolerate. Pays market and history suggests that the will lead to a return offer and then a permanent position provided I don't screw up. The firm has offices in areas that I would like to live. Those offices are small as well.

In-house. Perhaps the largest company in the world. If not, it's close. Pays the same as the firm, in an area that I want to live. Also have the opportunity to work part time during 2L year. I am not sure if I would have the opportunity to take a permanent position. It's possible, but not near as likely as the firm.

What are your career goals?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 pm

FSCU25 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Briefly, here is the situation:

What are your career goals?

I'm indifferent about the firm/in-house position because I don't have enough information. I have a corporate background (5+ years working with F500) but working for a mid-size firm sounds appealing. It's a bit more relaxed. As far as practice areas, I do not know. One goal of mine is to not end up permanently where this firm office is at. That is why this decision is difficult. I cannot articulate a practice area that I most certainly want to be in at this point.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Agent wrote:I would.

Anonymous User wrote:Take the job with long term prospects?

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

As an in-house lawyer myself, I'm a firm believer in the virtues of in-house work. But in your position I'd probably choose the law firm option. First, doing so will probably give you more security for 2L summer (who knows what your options will be after 1L grades are out?). Second, after working for a few years at a firm your future in-house options will probably be much broader--whereas if you start entry-level in-house at MegaCorp you might find it harder to get other in-house positions (depending, of course, on the type of in-house work you get pigeonholed into).

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I love in-house work and think it is extremely valuable both for lawyering experience and for talking points at OCI. Is there any possibility of splitting the summer? If this company is truly as big a deal as you say, this could be your only chance to work there. Why not take the opportunity for a few months? I know it's probably a little riskier than many people on this board would be comfortable with, but I think it's an incredible life experience with little to no downside. Also, if it's in a market you'd like to end up in, you could spend the mid- to late summer mass mailing and get a jump on OCI that way. My in-house bosses were more than supportive of my job hunt - they did practice interviews with me, brought me to firm-client networking events (which led to offers), and still keep in touch and provide mentorship. It's a really fantastic experience, if you spend the summer at the right place.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:24 pm

TCR, as mentioned, is whatever job will get you hired long-term.

Return to “Legal Employment”