Renege on accepted offer to accept a more attracting offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Renege on accepted offer to accept a more attracting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

In a secondary market: Accepted an offer last week at a small size (< 5 attys) firm doing mostly transactional matters for businesses. After I was offered the position but before I accepted the offer, I had an interview scheduled at a mid-size firm doing all different types of litigation in a far more alluring location (still within this secondary market) and better prospects overall. I couldn't extend the offer period for much longer so I ended up accepting it and went ahead to the scheduled interview at the mid-size. Was offered at the mid-size firm and now in a pickle as to what to do. A huge problem here is the fact that I applied to the small size firm posting through our school's Symplicity, and I'd imagine that not only would I be burning bridges with the small size if I reneged on the accepted offer, but with our career development office as well.

Any insight on what is the best decision here? I would much rather work at this mid-size and the summer experience/pay between the two firms doesn't even compare at all and do not mind burning bridges with this small size in order to do so but if it's not the correct "professional" decision to make, then I'd have to reconsider. I'm at a "tier 1" though I've got federal judicial internships and LR, my grades are average as hell. And again, this is like a pretty insular secondary market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Renege on accepted offer to accept a more attracting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm

1) you are the one that's got to put food on your table; will mid-size likely lead to offer?
2) your tuition is part of what makes the CDO work: aka they work for you
3) if you bail, do it in the most respectful manner... Economy is tight and they should understand. It's not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Renege on accepted offer to accept a more attracting offer?

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 pm

When making this decision, I recommend that you give only the slightest weight to your relationship with the CDO.

Anonymous User wrote:I'd imagine that not only would I be burning bridges with the small size if I reneged on the accepted offer, but with our career development office as well.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.