part-time RA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

part-time RA

Postby echooo23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

Are there any advantages to taking a part-time summer RA position? I already have a full-time summer position, but thought it might give me some extra research experience. But I'm feeling like I don't want to take on too much during the summer. Are there any advantages other than the extra research experience and getting to know a prof who may give me a good recommendation later?

Re: part-time RA

Postby anon2014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 am

I mean, what other advantages are you looking for? I guess it depends on what your other job is and the kind of hours it'll require, but generally 2 jobs > 1 job in that it gives you more to talk about in future interviews, more on your resume, more experience, more networking potential through your employers' contacts, more reasons to say you are/aren't interested in a certain topic...etc.

That said, if your other job is something where you could get an offer to return, and you'd want to be able to do that, ignore everything else I said and focus on that job.

Postby Myself » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

ajax adonis wrote:If you're doing a regular 1L job, I would do the part-time RA. It'll give you more to talk about and give you a good connection with a prof. If you're doing an SA, I would just focus on getting an offer from the SA.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 pm

I wouldn't waste your time. There is little to no benefit unless you are looking for a clerkship rec.

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Building relationships with profs can help amass LORs in case of a nightmare scenario. And it can help with networking, as some profs are surprisingly plugged in with alumni. Not to mention that they often have the inside scoop on matters at the law school (again, helpful for networking with anyone who has ties to the school). But it all depends on the specific prof and opportunity cost.

Return to “Legal Employment”