Start dates- class of 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Was notified by my V50 firm that we'd be starting late October (which is later than I thought it would be). Just wanted to see what other people have been hearing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm

V15, NYC. Choice of sept/oct/nov

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Just wondering, is there any incentive to pick an earlier date if your not starved for the pay check? Its not like time in your stub year counts towards your hours for your first year bonus right?

In that sense wouldn't you be incentivized to pick the latest possible start date?

Edit:

Assume no debt and substantial savings (IE longer bar trip if starting later).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildhaggis
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby wildhaggis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Interested in this as well.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering, is there any incentive to pick an earlier date if your not starved for the pay check? Its not like time in your stub year counts towards your hours for your first year bonus right?

In that sense wouldn't you be incentivized to pick the latest possible start date?


Well, if you don't consider $13k / month an incentive, then no, not really. Personally, after already having 1.5 months off, I'd rather take the money than have another month to twiddle my thumbs / travel.

The one situation I can think of is if your practice group is both slow and absorbing multiple new associates. In that case, the ones that get in first my get staffed on the available matters, and you will be stuck doing short-term assignments until something else comes along. Pretty unlikely scenario though.

Also keep in mind that if your practice area is busy, they might want you to start earlier. Several NYC firms this past year asked litigation associates to start earlier. Not sure what the consequences would be to saying "no" (if any), but something to consider.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V15, NYC. Choice of sept/oct/nov


this. each date was later in the respective month. they said we might not get our first choice, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering, is there any incentive to pick an earlier date if your not starved for the pay check? Its not like time in your stub year counts towards your hours for your first year bonus right?

In that sense wouldn't you be incentivized to pick the latest possible start date?


Well, if you don't consider $13k / month an incentive, then no, not really. Personally, after already having 1.5 months off, I'd rather take the money than have another month to twiddle my thumbs / travel.

The one situation I can think of is if your practice group is both slow and absorbing multiple new associates. In that case, the ones that get in first my get staffed on the available matters, and you will be stuck doing short-term assignments until something else comes along. Pretty unlikely scenario though.

Also keep in mind that if your practice area is busy, they might want you to start earlier. Several NYC firms this past year asked litigation associates to start earlier. Not sure what the consequences would be to saying "no" (if any), but something to consider.



Ah I guess I was thinking I wouldn't mind having some time to spend with wife/kids visit extended family, stay a month on an exotic island etc... I mean for purposes of earnings I can always keep my current job past the bar for a while longer and take the same time off, the difference in monthly pay would be pretty negligible and the hours would be better...

I was just thinking that if it wasn't going to affect my performance review at the end of the year, why grind more months than I have to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Yet to hear. How common is that?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ah I guess I was thinking I wouldn't mind having some time to spend with wife/kids visit extended family, stay a month on an exotic island etc... I mean for purposes of earnings I can always keep my current job past the bar for a while longer and take the same time off, the difference in monthly pay would be pretty negligible and the hours would be better...

I was just thinking that if it wasn't going to affect my performance review at the end of the year, why grind more months than I have to.


Sorry - did not mean to be snarky. I think it's a personal decision based on preferences / family situation / financial situation. It's the last time you're going to have off in a while.

But yes, I think generally it will have pretty much no impact on performance reviews / career advancement, absent special circumstances.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

K&E Chicago: October 15th for everybody.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Still waiting, but since October would be ideal for me, the general "October" sentiment make me hopeful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:21 pm

V15. Mid-Sept.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm

~V50 and mid-January here (firm-wide start date). I'm guessing that will probably be one of the later dates for any firm.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Starting August 26 with firm-wide orientation after Labor Day. Was hoping for a longer break to travel after the bar!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 pm

V30 NYC starting Oct 28

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

DC office, 300+ attorneys, 9/3/13

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm

V30 Texas - 10/20 start

SocorroChildress
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:16 am

San Francisco Legal Recruiter

Postby SocorroChildress » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 am

Hi..
I have read this topic and i must say it was nice to read this important topic. Thanx for sharing such a good kind of post..
share more like this..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:~V50 and mid-January here (firm-wide start date). I'm guessing that will probably be one of the later dates for any firm.


Is this Bingham again? I'm summering there and am concerned that they will never go back to pre-crash start dates....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yet to hear. How common is that?


Also still waiting here, STB. I am starting to feel like we're the only people who haven't heard. Pipeline says its usually a choice of late September/mid October/late November.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Last year I did not hear until mid-May, after finals were over. By that point I was fearing a deferral, but I was given an early September start date. Some firms just move slowly...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:~V50 and mid-January here (firm-wide start date). I'm guessing that will probably be one of the later dates for any firm.


Is this Bingham again? I'm summering there and am concerned that they will never go back to pre-crash start dates....


K&L Gates. I think sometime in January has been the typical start date for the past couple of years (since the downturn), so it sounds like the same rationale as Bingham. Last year, even after getting the January start date, some people were called in during September due to the workload, so there's always that chance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC office, 300+ attorneys, 9/3/13



This must be either Hogan or Covington, correct? Any other dates for DC firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC office, 300+ attorneys, 9/3/13



This must be either Hogan or Covington, correct? Any other dates for DC firms?


Incorrect. And I will not respond to additional guesses. Sorry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Start dates- class of 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Does V rank correspond with this at all? At least in NYC?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.