what is the next step of networking?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swtlilsoni

what is the next step of networking?

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 am

Everyone keeps pushing networking saying that it will help when it comes to getting a job. However, this is what I don't get:

After you meet someone at a networking event, have a nice conversation, send follow up emails, ask all these questions etc,

what is the next step? how do you get from there, to actual help getting a job? are you supposed to just ask them to hook you up?

ManOfTheMinute

Re: what is the next step of networking?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

swtlilsoni wrote:just ask them to hook you up?

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

swtlilsoni wrote:Everyone keeps pushing networking saying that it will help when it comes to getting a job. However, this is what I don't get:

After you meet someone at a networking event, have a nice conversation, send follow up emails, ask all these questions etc,

what is the next step? how do you get from there, to actual help getting a job? are you supposed to just ask them to hook you up?

I've gotten interviews flat out asking for one so I guess that doesn't hurt. I basically pitch how my experience could translate well to a role in their team and look for some common ground for why I would be interested in them and why they should be interested in me. Think about it this way, what's the worst that can happen? They don't get back to you so you move on.

aces

Postby aces » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Briefly, here are some ways to use your network:
-The information you've gained from talking to them should be helpful while searching for open positions, writing cover letters, interviewing, etc. One specific example would be that when someone asks you why you want to work for their firm, you can say "I talked to [X], they told me all about [reasons firm is awesome]," which is
-The people you talked to can alert you to openings outside of OCI which might not be advertised. This is especially true with regards to smaller firms that don't rely on OCI to fill positions.
-Alternatively, you should reach out to your network to inquire about possible openings, with the caveat that only do so if they aren't doing OCI at your school

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm

PM me if you want to chat about this.

Return to “Legal Employment”