Patent Bar Eligibility Question: Cat B Computer Science

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skri65

Patent Bar Eligibility Question: Cat B Computer Science

Postby skri65 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

Hi,

I am finishing up my MS in Computer Science at a non-ABET school...want to get into patent law, accepted into a T30 school with a substantial scholarship yada yada yada. It's about impossible to get anything out of the USPTO in terms of specifics, so I am turning to TLS instead.

I have taken a couple classes like Operating Systems and Computer Architecture that fall under "Acceptable Coursework" under Category B Option IV applicant for Computer Science. However, the course descriptions for these classes do not detail a lab and neither of these classes had separate lab sections. For what it is worth, both courses were four credits each.

Will the OED consider these as unacceptable coursework and not count these towards my 32 credits of acceptable computer science work? They were both fairly technical, but I'm now worried that the USPTO won't consider these courses acceptable coursework because they didn't have a substantial lab component.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Agent

Re: Patent Bar Eligibility Question: Cat B Computer Science

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:58 am

I think you're much better off talking with the OED about this. Sorry.

dltripledouble

Postby dltripledouble » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 am

skri65 wrote:Hi,

I am finishing up my MS in Computer Science at a non-ABET school...want to get into patent law, accepted into a T30 school with a substantial scholarship yada yada yada. It's about impossible to get anything out of the USPTO in terms of specifics, so I am turning to TLS instead.

I have taken a couple classes like Operating Systems and Computer Architecture that fall under "Acceptable Coursework" under Category B Option IV applicant for Computer Science. However, the course descriptions for these classes do not detail a lab and neither of these classes had separate lab sections. For what it is worth, both courses were four credits each.

Will the OED consider these as unacceptable coursework and not count these towards my 32 credits of acceptable computer science work? They were both fairly technical, but I'm now worried that the USPTO won't consider these courses acceptable coursework because they didn't have a substantial lab component.

Thanks in advance for the help!

My guess is that the USPTO will accept those courses since they are specifically enumerated in the list of "Other acceptable coursework" for computer science. I feel like these types of courses are assumed to include a programming/laboratory component. I can't imagine any respectable computer science program that would teach Operating Systems or Computer Architecture without having the students do a good amount of programming/laboratory work. But the only way to know for sure is to submit your application to the USPTO or by talking with the OED.

markdighton

Postby markdighton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm

The last commenter has it right. If the course is listed as "Acceptable Coursework," you don't need a lab. A lab might be helpful in regard to any course that is not listed as either "Acceptable" or "Not Acceptable", and you're trying to push the PTO toward accepting the course. But even then isn't necessary. (As long as you have the two sequential physics or chem courses, each with a lab, for a total of 8 semester hours, to qualify under Category B Option 4.)
Mark Dighton, Esq.
Admin. Director, Patent Bar Review
PLi

smc44

Postby smc44 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 pm

I was in a similar situation where I had a MS in Computer Science but my undergraduate degree was in another field. I wasn't sure if my CS classes would be accepted under Category B. I chose to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and applied under Category C. The application for Category C seemed to be a lot easier since i didn't need to get the course descriptions for all the courses I took. It's another option worth considering if the Category B route doesn't work out. Good luck with the exam.

Return to “Legal Employment”