Senate Judiciary Committee

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Senate Judiciary Committee

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I am going to be having an interview for the Senate Judiciary Committee for my 1L summer. I was wondering if anyone here had done this internship and could tell me about what the job was like.

Specifically, was it good experience? And did it look good on your resume?

Anonymous User

Re: Senate Judiciary Committee

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 pm

I am also interested in information regarding this position; nature of the work, networking quality (or lack thereof), how biglaw views it and pay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 pm

OP here: see this site for the data on salary. --LinkRemoved--

rshin12

Postby rshin12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 pm

One of my friends did this last year. IMO (and hers), it is just about the best 1L gov't job out there. Extremely competitive though, so good luck.

2L2go

Postby 2L2go » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

I applied for this last year and didn't get it. Even top grades at HYS is far from a guarantee because there are so many applications and so few spots. The job sounds amazing though. Really hands on and a lot of responsibility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Nothing is more important on the Hill than knowing people. If you think you want to work on the Hill at some point, you should absolutely do something like that if you can.

I interned a number of summers on the Hill in undergrad, and still keep in contact with some of the staffers. One offered to get me a summer internship for 1L for a House committee, though I ultimately chose something else instead. That's how a lot of hiring works there.

In fact, ones of the best ways to get jobs on the Hill is to know enough people/the right people to get your hands on internal hiring listservs. A ton of Hill jobs are never really offered publicly and filled internally, so the ability to get that access is fairly important + reflects well on you.

Return to “Legal Employment”