Biglaw summer dress code? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Re: Biglaw summer dress code?

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm

My firm said business casual, and I didn't wear a suit on day one. The other SA's did. But nobody said anything, everyone wore business casual the rest of the time.

A partner made fun of an SA who kept wearing a suit for no reason.

I think the safe thing is suit on day 1, and then just business casual from there out. If you are the only one with a suit, just take off the tie and jacket. Bam, business casual.

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Granted too much time on my hands waiting for next game (plus procrastinating on next report). This what everyone means in ref to SA biz casual? Top, bottom, both, neither.

--ImageRemoved--

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm

For dudes at least, the bottom (minus the guy on the right in the henley). Slacks + dress is shirt is generally biz casual. You can dress it up a bit with a sweater, jacket, vest, or tie if you want (not going to comment on whether those are good looks, just that they are options). Untucking your shirt is generally not acceptable.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Biz Cas for men, button down shirt and khaki/dark grey pants, and loafers. Bring a tie and a blazer, and you could probably go just about anywhere the attorneys are going.

The top guy looks like he works at a startup or design company. Probably shouldn't wear that to work at any law firm. The two guys in the button downs in the bottom row should be fine. If you are really worried, find some excuse to stop by and see what people are wearing. Nothing to worry about.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Business casual changes depending on geographic area and even field by field. In CA at a tech company a polo and jeans might cut it.

But for the most part business casual means slacks and either a button down or a polo.

For a law firm I'd go button down and nice slacks (i.e. wool).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheffield

Bronze

Post by Sheffield » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I have been out in public before, so not particularly concerned, just hanging out bored on a chilly dreary day with snow in the forecast. I did stop by recently, of course there were no SAs on deck. On the ladies side I didn’t see any ruby slippers but I can imagine Jimmy Choo and Valentino were well represented. The men (including the new associates) were suited up, I spotted some very cool Italian shoes (I own one pair, softest shoe I have ever owned, bought them previous to LS when I could afford one pair).

I Googled law firm business casual, this is what they came up with. (promise no more…)

--ImageRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Sheffield wrote:I have been out in public before, so not particularly concerned, just hanging out bored on a chilly dreary day with snow in the forecast. I did stop by recently, of course there were no SAs on deck. On the ladies side I didn’t see any ruby slippers but I can imagine Jimmy Choo and Valentino were well represented. The men (including the new associates) were suited up, I spotted some very cool Italian shoes (I own one pair, softest shoe I have ever owned, bought them previous to LS when I could afford one pair).

I Googled law firm business casual, this is what they came up with. (promise no more…)

--ImageRemoved--
A tie without a jacket is silly. Tie's are more formal than a jacket.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 pm

I honestly have no idea what you're saying half the time in this thread, Sheffield.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sheffield wrote:I have been out in public before, so not particularly concerned, just hanging out bored on a chilly dreary day with snow in the forecast. I did stop by recently, of course there were no SAs on deck. On the ladies side I didn’t see any ruby slippers but I can imagine Jimmy Choo and Valentino were well represented. The men (including the new associates) were suited up, I spotted some very cool Italian shoes (I own one pair, softest shoe I have ever owned, bought them previous to LS when I could afford one pair).

--ImageRemoved--
A tie without a jacket is silly. Tie's are more formal than a jacket.
Concur; at least button the top button if you're going to wear that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Slacks + dress shirt (no tie) + dress shoes/loafers + nice belt. You could wear a blazer or sweater over it, though it may be hot in the summer. If your firm is a more "casual" business casual firm (like mine) you could even get away with a polo on Fridays. Some of the associates and partners wore jeans on Fridays, but I never could bring myself to do it.

Keep a suit + tie in your office. I didn't have to; the few times I needed to dress up I was given notice the day or two before. IMO, a tie should be worn with a full suit, not just a blazer and slacks.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote: A tie without a jacket is silly. Tie's are more formal than a jacket.
This is true. To me, ties and button downs without a jacket scream library filing assistant rather than next successful associate. I understand a lot of people do it, but they shouldn't.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 pm

tie w/o jacket = tech support
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm

March Madness. The annual time when college hoops is awesome and 2Ls start over-freaking about their wardrobe for being a SA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 pm

--ImageRemoved--
Like I said before, man. You are reaaaaaaly over thinking this.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 am

Borhas wrote:tie w/o jacket = tech support
oh my goodness, this is so true.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Last edited by Renne Walker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm

[
Last edited by Renne Walker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Up front in black and the white one to the right (back) works for me. The other (dark haired to the left), meh, but not awful either.

Below: Top row doesn't strike me as a law office, perhaps casual Friday? Bottom row: No thanks.

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Renne Walker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shibal Procedure

New

Post by Shibal Procedure » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Suit on the first day. From that point forward, mimic associates in your practice group/ on your floor.

If you're 100% sure it's business casual and they've repeated that to you, you can casual it up on the first day by doing something more preppy:
http://oi46.tinypic.com/9h50g5.jpg
(minus the pocket handkerchief)

Always keep a blazer/suit top in your office in case you have to see a client or go to court. Work with cardigans, vests and sweaters if you can.
Ties are super formal in my opinion.
(A tie with no jacket makes you look like a waiter). http://oi47.tinypic.com/mha9nt.jpg

For those who are fit/trim, get European cuts/ TAILORED suits. Seriously. If you can't get an expensive brand, get an affordable suit and get it tailored. There is a difference and people will prefer looking at you as opposed to someone else who isn't tailored. You'll look good and feel better. Won't make a difference offer wise, but still, you want to look good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”