Biglaw summer dress code?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Biglaw summer dress code?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 am

I'm in a smaller office of large firm this summer. When I interviewed (a Tuesday) everyone I met with was not wearing a suit (khakis and button down). I'm assuming this is because they wouldn't be in court or meeting with a client. How do you handle dress code? Do you wear a suit day 1, and then go from there? I only own one suit, so I may need to do some shopping next months.

holdencaulfield

Re: Biglaw summer dress code?

Postby holdencaulfield » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am

Yes: suit day 1, then go fom there. Even is business casual is okay, you'll be well served to buy one or two more suits.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:51 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes: suit day 1, then go fom there.

This.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:57 pm

lawyerdown27 wrote:

This.

Ok but real question. NY big firm. Do I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyy need to buy a 2nd suit? Firm is business casual (I am a poor)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Antrim wrote:
lawyerdown27 wrote:

This.

Ok but real question. NY big firm. Do I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyy need to buy a 2nd suit? Firm is business casual (I am a poor)

Get a cheap but decent second suit in case you spill coffee on your primary or something

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:13 pm

As said before, suit day 1 and from then out, its business casual. On Friday, at least ay my firm, it was pretty casual (jeans, etc)

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I was just looking at suit sales today, great discounted prices, unfortunately they are all worsted wool, not exactly ideal for a summer SA. The couple of times I dropped by my SA firm everyone was outfitted for the runway. Since there are only a small handful of SAs we were told we would be working closely with partners, not sure about the casual advice noted here.

I also noticed the attorneys often hang their suits where you can see the label (Hickey Freeman, Hart, Canali, etc.), not sure if wearing something cheapo is really wise. Ripping out the label seems too extreme.

I guess it is something one figures out in a few days, but at this point I am not anticipating an easy way out of spending $$. Probably even tougher for the ladies.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Sheffield wrote:I was just looking at suit sales today, great discounted prices, unfortunately they are all worsted wool, not exactly ideal for a summer SA. The couple of times I dropped by my SA firm everyone was outfitted for the runway. Since there are only a small handful of SAs we were told we would be working closely with partners, not sure about the casual advice noted here.

I also noticed the attorneys often hang their suits where you can see the label (Hickey Freeman, Hart, Canali, etc.), not sure if wearing something cheapo is really wise. Ripping out the label seems too extreme.

I guess it is something one figures out in a few days, but at this point I am not anticipating an easy way out of spending $$. Probably even tougher for the ladies.

No one at the firm is going to give a flying fuck about what brand suit a broke ass SA wears. Period. And if the firm does actually give a crap, there are issues at that firm.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Sheffield wrote:I was just looking at suit sales today, great discounted prices, unfortunately they are all worsted wool, not exactly ideal for a summer SA. The couple of times I dropped by my SA firm everyone was outfitted for the runway. Since there are only a small handful of SAs we were told we would be working closely with partners, not sure about the casual advice noted here.

Buy a suit in the $500-$1000 range; make sure you get it fitted. Even more ideal if you can find someone who would make the suit for you, but that can be hard and expensive. $1000 is not much when you will be getting $3000 a week.
And you want a good suit not for the label but for the same reason why you would not want a pimple the size of a dime on top of your nose. You want to look and feel good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Our firm had a guy (SA) who dressed terribly. 5-button suit with terrible colors. But he was smart, hard-working, very friendly, and very funny. He got an offer. So there's that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Is it still the credited response to wear a suit the first day if your firm is for sure a business casual dress code firm?

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it still the credited response to wear a suit the first day if your firm is for sure a business casual dress code firm?

Answer I'm looking for. The emphasize multiple times that they are business casual. Sooo.....???

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I feel for the $$$ concerns. As a desperate measure, can you not keep an eye out on Macy's Men's Store and the like and buy one of those bad boys off the rack once one you like goes on sale? I needed a few extra SA suits, and found some not terrible looking ones for $200-$300 each.

Then again, as long as firm dress code is business casual, you could probably hang tight with what you've got. Or go shopping after you get DAT FIRST CHEK.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Suit ― day one is covered. Suit up on day two also, granted this opens the possibility of being the only one in a suit…. or not wear a suit and be the only one not in a suit. I’ll suit up until it becomes unconventional.

Is the dress culture different at a firm with dozens of SAs versus 5 or fewer? As I was told (by the firm), there will be no way to duck the partners…. as opposed to larger firms where SAs might go under the radar.

My firm’s office covers sixty thousand square feet… probably small compared to those operating on several floors (where I suppose an SA really could blend into the motif).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Antrim wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it still the credited response to wear a suit the first day if your firm is for sure a business casual dress code firm?

Answer I'm looking for. The emphasize multiple times that they are business casual. Sooo.....???

Wear it the first day. See what the associates in the firm wear. Follow their dress code after.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Sheffield wrote:Suit ― day one is covered. Suit up on day two also, granted this opens the possibility of being the only one in a suit…. or not wear a suit and be the only one not in a suit. I’ll suit up until it becomes unconventional.

Is the dress culture different at a firm with dozens of SAs versus 5 or fewer? As I was told (by the firm), there will be no way to duck the partners…. as opposed to larger firms where SAs might go under the radar.

My firm’s office covers sixty thousand square feet… probably small compared to those operating on several floors (where I suppose an SA really could blend into the motif).

The "dress culture" is going to depend on what the people at the firm wear and what the firm's dress policy is. Not the amount of SAs. If there is a business casual look at the firm, then wear that. You are over-thinking this.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Antrim wrote:

My firm's recruiter made it clear to us the the firm was business casual from day one.

I imagine your recruiter will be in touch to see if you need anything as the summer gets closer, just ask whether you should plan on a suit on the first day.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Funny thing just occurred to me (I obviously need to stop watching basketball, drinking and fiddling with this school assignment), I am the only other male SA. So… I think we’ll be able to figure it out :lol:

However, from earlier luncheons I am not certain about our lady counterparts… they tend to lean Gwyneth Paltrow casual…. Temperley London and Carolina Bucci with a casual lizard clutch ($4,995) from The Row. This could prove interesting -- IMO, law firm dress-up is in the ladies wheelhouse. We are simply observers. As the Gods commanded.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Antrim wrote:

Then wear business casual. I don't quite understand people on TLS giving a shit about this. The law firm definitely won't care. And seems kind of stupid to insist that you do one thing and then give you shit for following instructions.

FYI, I didn't wear a suit m first day and I am still working at the same place. No one gives a shit. If I was told to wear a suit, I would've worn one.

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm a 1L so while I will work very hard and try to make a good impression, I'm not concerned about getting an offer. I already have 1 suit (which I wore for interviews) but I think I need a minimum of one more if I'm wearing a suit every day. However I'd it's business casual but a suit for court or clients then I think one suit will be fine.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Just ask your coordinator. I think suit on day 1 is generally a credited move, but not always. My firm really emphasized the casual nature and explicitly told us not to wear one. I would have stood out like a sore thumb. Like Fresh Prince said, just follow basic instructions. It's not like they're saying "We're business casual, so dress that way" and deviously plotting to ding you if you don't wear a suit.

(ib yvonella lectures all of us for being for entitled little millennial brats for not suiting up daily as SAs in business casual firms)

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:I'm a 1L so while I will work very hard and try to make a good impression, I'm not concerned about getting an offer. I already have 1 suit (which I wore for interviews) but I think I need a minimum of one more if I'm wearing a suit every day. However I'd it's business casual but a suit for court or clients then I think one suit will be fine.

I like having two suits with four or six pairs of pants (two or three per suit -- since you don't want to smell like ass and you can't dry clean your shit every single day).

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm

If you go business casual, keep a jacket and tie in your car. You may get asked to tag along to hearings and whatnot. It's good to be prepared.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:26 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:If you go business casual, keep a jacket and tie in your car. You may get asked to tag along to hearings and whatnot. It's good to be prepared.

Or in your office. That is what I did as a 1L at a firm job and it was TCR. Was able to grab it to go to hearings but it never got wrinkled staying in the car.

Return to “Legal Employment”