Starting Salary at a Small (5-attorney) Manhattan Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
downpour1

Starting Salary at a Small (5-attorney) Manhattan Firm

Postby downpour1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 am

This is a tough (perhaps impossible) question to answer, but I'm hoping that someone will nonetheless be able to offer me some useful information.

In short, I'm a 2L who has accepted a summer internship at a small, 5-attorney firm in Manhattan that does general corporate/IP work for small to mid-market companies (some are very well-known). The firm has a solid client base, a nice office and is growing at a healthy pace, adding a new attorney every couple of years or so. The firm pays interns $16/hour and does not typically hire interns full-time. That said, I am the only summer this year, have a very unique background that is incredibly well-suited for this firm and like my chances of being hired full-time. I don't wish to say any more, but trust me when I say that it would be difficult for the firm to find someone who is a better fit than I am.

Given that there is no promise of employment following my 3L year, I will clearly be networking like crazy this summer. However, I'm still curious to know what my starting salary would be if I did get a job at this firm. If I had to guess, I would say between 50k on the low-end and 90k on the high-end, with 60k being the most likely...but this is really just speculation.

All thoughts are welcomed and highly appreciated!

Thanks!

seespotrun

Re: Starting Salary at a Small (5-attorney) Manhattan Firm

Postby seespotrun » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 am

It really is impossible to know for sure, but I agree that the range is likely 50K-90K with the most probable figure being somewhere at the lower end of that range. If the firm truly has a good book of business like you say, it sounds like a good opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a growing practice. Best of luck to you.

downpour1

Postby downpour1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:00 am

Thanks a lot seespotrun. I appreciate the reply.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 pm

downpour1 wrote:This is a tough (perhaps impossible) question to answer, but I'm hoping that someone will nonetheless be able to offer me some useful information.

In short, I'm a 2L who has accepted a summer internship at a small, 5-attorney firm in Manhattan that does general corporate/IP work for small to mid-market companies (some are very well-known). The firm has a solid client base, a nice office and is growing at a healthy pace, adding a new attorney every couple of years or so. The firm pays interns $16/hour and does not typically hire interns full-time. That said, I am the only summer this year, have a very unique background that is incredibly well-suited for this firm and like my chances of being hired full-time. I don't wish to say any more, but trust me when I say that it would be difficult for the firm to find someone who is a better fit than I am.

Given that there is no promise of employment following my 3L year, I will clearly be networking like crazy this summer. However, I'm still curious to know what my starting salary would be if I did get a job at this firm. If I had to guess, I would say between 50k on the low-end and 90k on the high-end, with 60k being the most likely...but this is really just speculation.

All thoughts are welcomed and highly appreciated!

Thanks!

You are actually pretty much on the money.

Return to “Legal Employment”