State Bar Membership and Job search.... Dilemma!!!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Bar Membership and Job search.... Dilemma!!!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 am

Here's the story... I'm a 3L at a T14, top 1/2 of the class. I'm not really sure which bar exam I want to take yet, although looming deadlines are narrowing my options a bit. I have lived in several states and I have family connections all over the place (Colorado, California, Texas, New York, and Mass).

Now, last week I received a callback from a firm I really like. It's a pretty good size firm in Massachusetts, and they're flying me out there in a couple weeks. But after doing some research, I realized I have a problem. The deadline to apply for the bar in Mass has not yet passed, but alas, I am ineligible to sit for the Mass bar. This is because I have not yet taken the MPRE, and Massachusetts is one of the 4 states that requires the MPRE before you sit for the bar (I'm an idiot and I did not see this coming. I was planning on taking the MPRE in August). And the deadline to sign up for the April MPRE has passed.

So what do I do? Call them and tell them I can't take the bar, but I'm willing to take the bar in a neighboring state (where they also have offices), and that I could take the Mass bar in February? I feel like I should bring it up before the interview.

What does it matter for a first year associate anyway? I've heard of people failing the bar and firms giving them a second chance while keeping them on as a type of clerk (although I'm sure it's rare). My classmates' answers are all over the place. I've even asked a couple profs and their answers are inconsistent too. Does a first year associate really need to have a license (in the relevant state) during the first 6 months or so?

Bikeflip

Re: State Bar Membership and Job search.... Dilemma!!!

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:26 am

Contact the Mass Board of Bar Examiners: http://www.mass.gov/bbe/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 am

Bikeflip wrote:Contact the Mass Board of Bar Examiners: http://www.mass.gov/bbe/

From what I understand, it's pretty strict. They won't budge on the MPRE requirement.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Contact the Mass Board of Bar Examiners: http://www.mass.gov/bbe/

From what I understand, it's pretty strict. They won't budge on the MPRE requirement.

I'd imagine they wouldn't, but my concern was more about this part:

Anonymous User wrote:Does a first year associate really need to have a license (in the relevant state) during the first 6 months or so?

In other words, call a neutral and reputable source to figure out the nuances of state-specific practice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 am

Don't bring it up unless they ask

Don't ding yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 am

rad lulz wrote:Don't bring it up unless they ask

Don't ding yourself

So then if they make an offer it's "by the way.... I can't take the Mass bar". Seems like if they might have been willing to consider working something out with me, they would be a little turned off by that. I would think I should be upfront about it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Don't bring it up unless they ask

Don't ding yourself

So then if they make an offer it's "by the way.... I can't take the Mass bar". Seems like if they might have been willing to consider working something out with me, they would be a little turned off by that. I would think I should be upfront about it.

They'll probably ask before they give you an offer

Come up with a good story unique to your situation

But don't ding yourself by bringing it up

Return to “Legal Employment”