Do employers interview people after they gave out an offer ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redsox550

Do employers interview people after they gave out an offer ?

Postby redsox550 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:11 am

I am just curious how this works. Assuming company or PI employer X has one spot in their company. I assume if they make a rolling decision then at one point people could be coming in for an interview after someone already received an offer. The employer obviously does not know if the person will accept or not so they might continue interviewing. Then anyone who has an interview even if he was the greatest possible and most qualified candidate basically cant do anything to get the job if the person who got offered accepted. Or in fact if employers do this I am sure if they scheduled you for an interview they will not cancel it even if someone accepted the one offer, thus they are just wasting your time.

Basically my Q is does this happen? often?

goldeneye

Re: Do employers interview people after they gave out an offer ?

Postby goldeneye » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 am

redsox550 wrote:I am just curious how this works. Assuming company or PI employer X has one spot in their company. I assume if they make a rolling decision then at one point people could be coming in for an interview after someone already received an offer. The employer obviously does not know if the person will accept or not so they might continue interviewing. Then anyone who has an interview even if he was the greatest possible and most qualified candidate basically cant do anything to get the job if the person who got offered accepted. Or in fact if employers do this I am sure if they scheduled you for an interview they will not cancel it even if someone accepted the one offer, thus they are just wasting your time.

Basically my Q is does this happen? often?

yes it happens. many employers "buy" positions for OCI, so in theory if they have made their decision, they would still interview because they paid for it and career services wants them to get people practice interviews.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Some do, some don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Oh yes. It happens. Happened with me at a major firm in Philadelphia. I was brought in late, went through the entire interview process, and rejected near the next day due to the class being filled up. Was told they liked me a lot but didn't lose anyone and to apply again as a 3L.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm

ajax adonis wrote:I wonder if some interview more because they need to fill some diversity quota. ("We've interviewed this many minority applicants!")

The Philly person here.

I am a white male. So that certainly wasn't the case with my interview.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Oh yes. It happens. Happened with me at a major firm in Philadelphia. I was brought in late, went through the entire interview process, and rejected near the next day due to the class being filled up. Was told they liked me a lot but didn't lose anyone and to apply again as a 3L.

Happened to me at more then one firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 am

bk1 wrote:Some do, some don't.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I've also gotten interviews a couple of times at firms that had already told others on TLS that their class was full. If you get an interview, assume your chances are still alive and go from there. You can always be the guy who hits quads on the river :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Oh yes. It happens. Happened with me at a major firm in Philadelphia. I was brought in late, went through the entire interview process, and rejected near the next day due to the class being filled up. Was told they liked me a lot but didn't lose anyone and to apply again as a 3L.

Happened to me at more then one firm.

Yep. It's fucking obnoxious. I mean, I got an all-expenses paid trip to Philly, though. :roll:

Return to “Legal Employment”