1L Summer Job Search Conundrum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job Search Conundrum

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:40 am

I am currently still interviewing with some firms/corporations (and hopefully some judges). However, I am starting to panic a little bit because I do not have something locked up at this point. I have been contacted by some solo-practitioners in the area, requesting my resume for a potential summer gig. I don't really want to work for a solo, but I also don't want to be unemployed. I would like to go through my interviews that are currently set up, but I have no idea if there is a realistic shot at them.

My Questions:
Should I be sending my information to the solos?
Will working for a solo hurt me for OCI purposes for 2L?
Should I wait a little longer to really be panicking?

The solos are a last resort for me, but I just don't want to preclude myself from other opportunities that may come about with these interviews in line, and hopefully potential judge interviews down the line. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

redsox550

Re: 1L Summer Job Search Conundrum

Postby redsox550 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 am

I dont understand why you wont at least send the solo your resume. If you are lucky enough to get an offer from him the worst case scenario, you could reject it or ask him for an extension and thus see if you actually got any offers

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 am

Don't panic but you should try and get something locked down before you have to worry about finals (which I'm assuming are within 2 months or so for you). Send your info to solos. OCI interviewers aren't going to care. Moreover, there's no pecking order of 1L summer jobs so it's not a big deal who you work for. Just get something locked down so you don't have to worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks, guys. Your words are comforting. I will be sending out resumes to both solos that have contacted me.

Return to “Legal Employment”