Ask at the end of interview when you will hear back? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask at the end of interview when you will hear back?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Is it customary to ask at the end of the interview as to when you will hear back/when they will make a decision. Or just keep quiet?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Ask at the end of interview when you will hear back?

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm

I used to, but they always give a bullshit answer anyway, probably because they genuinely don't know. I think it's unnecessary and can be a little awkward.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:59 pm

It's balsy, and it might impress, but it could just as easily backfire, and why take that risk?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:01 pm

I ask on all my interviews "What is your expected timeframe for making decisions?". I have never had any negative feedback and most can give me a ballpark estimate. Really helped keep me sane to have a general idea of when I would hear back.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I ask on all my interviews "What is your expected timeframe for making decisions?". I have never had any negative feedback and most can give me a ballpark estimate. Really helped keep me sane to have a general idea of when I would hear back.
This is credited. Keep in mind that it's not unusual to run late, so if you don't hear back within that time frame, it doesn't mean anything (but might give you an opportunity for further contact)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

guano wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:I ask on all my interviews "What is your expected timeframe for making decisions?". I have never had any negative feedback and most can give me a ballpark estimate. Really helped keep me sane to have a general idea of when I would hear back.
This is credited. Keep in mind that it's not unusual to run late, so if you don't hear back within that time frame, it doesn't mean anything (but might give you an opportunity for further contact)
This

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:
guano wrote:
This
You can always ask when is the hiring committee next expected to meet, if that firm uses one... Gives you a pretty good idea of when it will happen.

idelosix

New

Post by idelosix » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
guano wrote:
This
I did either this or sent an email along the lines of "Thank you for your time blah blah blah. It slipped my mind while I was in the office and was curious about your expected/usual timeframe for decisions blah blah". The latter meant I usually got a response and satisfied my neurosis about sending a) short emails and b) not getting responses to emails.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”