3L, T30, want to work in CA, bottom 10 percent, no debt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L, T30, want to work in CA, bottom 10 percent, no debt

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 am

taking CA bar and want to work in California
Bottom 10 percent with a B- average
No debt and no offers so far...don't mind working a 30-40k job coming out...but want a job with upward mobility obviously after 5 years..etc
Want to work in private practice and do crim defense, torts, real estate law, trusts wills, entertainment and sports, family law

1. Should I just focus on passing the bar and finding employment now? Forget about school because I don't think I can really salvage my grades at this point?

2. Any advice on how to study for CA bar starting now? Not a good test taker and didn't do so well in law school, so trying to see what I can do now before Barbri course starts in May.

3. I have a few connections, but should I tap into these connections now? I want to start working after bar finishes around mid august. That's a long ways away. Should I contact them now or wait a bit longer when it gets closer to august? Any advice on how to deal with connections(some are attorneys and some know attorneys)..at this point trying to just do small/shit law.

Re: 3L, T30, want to work in CA, bottom 10 percent, no debt

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

Where is your T30?

As for networking, yes bug them now. Building up a base of people who can help you or know people who can help you is always good, but results vary. Some of us have been bugging people for months, only to get a few interviews. Others have been bugging people for months and it led to an offer or 2.

Postby lolwat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 am

IMO, getting into CA will be impossible unless you're from there, your T30 is there (which it likely isn't or you would have mentioned it), or you otherwise have awesome connections there. I was top 5% t20, CA bar and want to work in CA and couldn't find anything there, but admittedly I was looking at biglaw.

1. Yeah focus on school, passing the bar, and just make sure you graduate. Not going to make a difference whether you're bottom 10% or bottom 25%.

2. Just make sure you know everything and do tons of practice exams. There are billions of practice MBEs and such, even if you start now you shouldn't run out of them by July.

3. Yes.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Honestly you have about a 50/50 chance, maybe worse, of failing the bar. Make that your priority, then worry about the rest.

Return to “Legal Employment”