Got an offer. Have 2 interviews later this week. What to do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got an offer. Have 2 interviews later this week. What to do?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

I got an offer today at a job I will be happy to work in for my 1l summer. I am fine accepting this offer and will not pass on this unless I get another offer before my initial offer runs out. The problem is they gave me 5 business days to respond. I have an interview tomorrow and thursday with 2 other places that I would prefer to work in. The chance of them getting back to me by the time the 5 day offer runs out is slim (i think).

My question is how bad is it/is this the best way to do it, if after my interview on wednesday and Thursday I tell the person that I have an offer somewhere else that runs out within a few days and that I would prefer to work here, so if there is anyway for them to respond within a few days that would be tremendously appreciated. Does that sound good?

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Re: Got an offer. Have 2 interviews later this week. What to do?

Post by ZyzzBrah » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm

a job in the hand is worth more than the 2 in the bush.

If the first job is legal then it doesnt really matter what you do, unless this second job is for an SA at a V100 theres going to be little difference to a future employer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I agree completely. My question is it can't hurt to go on these interviews and see if I can get them to give me an offer within a few business days. What is the best way to try and do this, or is that too rude and thus can actually do my rep harm if I tell them "I have an offer, of u could please respond ASAP" is that acceptable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Wouldn't it be better to talk to the offeror and ask them for permission to speak with your other options later this week before accepting? I'm sure they're interested in having people who truly want to be there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:41 pm

I truly want to be where i got an offer. Just theres a chance i may want to work slightly more at a different place(where I am interviewing tommorow) Is it ok for me to go on the interview? I do not think I have time to discuss this with company X who gave me an offer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 pm

There is nothing wrong with going ahead with other interviews you have scheduled if you have an interest in working there. You don't need permission to look for other jobs. I would tell the firms you are interviewing with what your timeframe is, I think
You should bring it up at the end of the interview- but it may come up earlier.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

So my options.

1. Accept today and cancel the rest of the interviews
2. Wait to accept and go on the other interviews later this week -- say nothing to the interviewers about this offer
3. Wait to accept and go on the other interviews later this week -- tell the interviewer you have an offer but would prefer to work there so if they could make a decision ASAP that would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my options.

1. Accept today and cancel the rest of the interviews
2. Wait to accept and go on the other interviews later this week -- say nothing to the interviewers about this offer
3. Wait to accept and go on the other interviews later this week -- tell the interviewer you have an offer but would prefer to work there so if they could make a decision ASAP that would be appreciated.
2 is only preferable to 3 if you think that the firms have a "we're doing this guy a favor by giving him an opportunity this summer" attitude (or, we're doing someone who knows him a favor...).

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 pm

OP its option 3. Because there is only upside there.

Regardless, go on the interviews more interviewing is useful in and of itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

if I choose #3 and they ask me where i got the offer, am i gonna F up my offer if i tell them. like is their a chance they will call employer X (offering company) and somehow make it so they no longer want me?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Go with 3 but plan out how you are going to address it. Don't ever seemingly trash another firm in an interview. Stick more with this is a big decision for me and my career. Tell them you are very interested but don't say you would rather work there. If you say that, they are going to wonder why you can't decline the other firm if you don't want to work there and why you won't be willing to wait. Try to stick more to the I love your firm for x, y and z reasons, but I have an offer that will expire in a few days. Ask if it is possible for them to have an answer before then.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if I choose #3 and they ask me where i got the offer, am i gonna F up my offer if i tell them. like is their a chance they will call employer X (offering company) and somehow make it so they no longer want me?
Did you tell the other firm you were accepting their offer? They aren't going to not hire you if you go on other interviews unless you have somehow mislead them. Firms like people that other firms are interested in, it helps them confirm their judgment.

You aren't engaged and planning to marry the other firm. You aren't cheating on them by looking around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks. #3 it is... I can see how they might get a tad pissed that I am wasting there time given that im going to end up asking one place to make a decision within 2 business days. But I'll say it politely and humbly and gain the interview experience either way. Thanks for the advice

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. #3 it is... I can see how they might get a tad pissed that I am wasting there time given that im going to end up asking one place to make a decision within 2 business days. But I'll say it politely and humbly and gain the interview experience either way. Thanks for the advice

Stuff like this happens all the time. You are over thinking this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”