email offer without logistic details

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

email offer without logistic details

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm

i got an offer from a law firm through email, in which the partner said "i am pleased to extend you an offer for the summer internship.....Pls let us know when we can discuss next steps. ."

no formal offer letter (the letter type of offer with letter head and etc.) was attached.

Also no mentioning of any deadline for me to accept/decline the offer.

I do intend to accept the offer, but should I first politely ask for the logistic details? such as payment (which the partner briefly mentioned in the interview), starting date, travel allowance, etc.? Should I also ask for a formal letter (is it the typical?)?

DreamsInDigital

Re: email offer without logistic details

Postby DreamsInDigital » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

How big is the firm? Last summer I accepted an offer at a small firm and there was never any formal offer letter. The partner called me, offered me the position, I accepted, and she told me what the pay was. Then a few weeks later, through email, we figured out my start and end date, and other logistical information.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got an offer from a law firm through email, in which the partner said "i am pleased to extend you an offer for the summer internship.....Pls let us know when we can discuss next steps. ."

no formal offer letter (the letter type of offer with letter head and etc.) was attached.

I do intend to accept the offer, but should I first politely ask for the logistic details? such as payment (which the partner briefly mentioned in the interview), starting date, travel allowance, etc.? Should I also ask for a formal letter (is it the typical?)?

To me this would depend if you got other options. If you don't, and don't have any on the horizons, does it really matter what the logisitics are just accept the job before it's not there anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:How big is the firm? Last summer I accepted an offer at a small firm and there was never any formal offer letter. The partner called me, offered me the position, I accepted, and she told me what the pay was. Then a few weeks later, through email, we figured out my start and end date, and other logistical information.

it's a firm with over 550 lawyers worldwide. i got the offer from one of its overseas offices directly.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I think you should inform them of when you can discuss next steps. At that stage I'm sure pay, dates etc. will be explained. Why is this a question?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:57 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i got an offer from a law firm through email, in which the partner said "i am pleased to extend you an offer for the summer internship.....Pls let us know when we can discuss next steps. ."

To me this would depend if you got other options. If you don't, and don't have any on the horizons, does it really matter what the logisitics are just accept the job before it's not there anymore.

OP here. I do have another internship application that's pending decision, but i suspect i won't hear from that firm for another 10 days or so. Ideally I do want to split the summer b/w the two firms....

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

OP here. I do have another internship application that's pending decision, but i suspect i won't hear from that firm for another 10 days or so. Ideally I do want to split the summer b/w the two firms....

Why are you trying to split? That is bad news in this economy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Why are you trying to split? That is bad news in this economy.

OP here. Why is it bad news?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Are you a 1L or 2L? Unless you can do 8 weeks or so at each place, I don't see the point. If you have a shorter summer that gives you less time to impress each firm. One mistake at either firm means you have less time to overcome any challenges that you face. It also give you less time to establish advocates who will argue on your behalf when it comes time to full-time offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 pm

sparty99 wrote:Are you a 1L or 2L? Unless you can do 8 weeks or so at each place, I don't see the point. If you have a shorter summer that gives you less time to impress each firm. One mistake at either firm means you have less time to overcome any challenges that you face. It also give you less time to establish advocates who will argue on your behalf when it comes time to full-time offers.

op. i'm 1L. i heard slip summer can impress employers at OCI, hence the plan...
But what you said completely makes sense!! thanks!

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Honestly, no one cares what you did 1L summer.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 pm

"Dear x,

I am very excited to have been offered a chance to work with you. I was wondering if you know the nitty-gritty details of the summer program at Y, or in the alternative, who I should contact?

Thanks again,

Z"

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:Honestly, no one cares what you did 1L summer.

Oh, this is for 1L summer. Disregard my previous post. and I agree with Uncle Joe.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

sparty99 wrote:Are you a 1L or 2L? Unless you can do 8 weeks or so at each place, I don't see the point. If you have a shorter summer that gives you less time to impress each firm. One mistake at either firm means you have less time to overcome any challenges that you face. It also give you less time to establish advocates who will argue on your behalf when it comes time to full-time offers.

no. i split summers in 2011, much worse times, and i had two firms fighting over me. also - people decide if they like u within minutes of meeting you. so if anything, the more time u spend, the more chances u have of fucking it up.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 pm

no. why would u ask for logistic details when the partner just asked you for the best time to discuss them??

Return to “Legal Employment”