What's the starting salary at non-big law firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: What's the starting salary at non-big law firms?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm has 50-90 lawyers, and this year summer class is very small. I'll see how much I can impress them this summer and also start praying.

I hate to say it - but if you don't get a solid offer, its not them, its you.

I dunno man, some of these Southern firms of that size down these parts seem to no-offer like 10%-20% (or more) of the class every year. Like 60 man firms with low leverage hiring a bunch of SAs (like 6 or 7)

The norm of split summers in non-ATL, non-FL markets may have something to do with this.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm has 50-90 lawyers, and this year summer class is very small. I'll see how much I can impress them this summer and also start praying.

Are you confused? It seems like you think this guy already summered at this place and hasn't gotten a full time offer, but it sounds to me like he's about to summer there after his 2L year, so of course they haven't made a full time offer.

I thought he was working there already - maybe a R/C fail on my part. I read quickly. Opp, which is the case?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Are you confused? It seems like you think this guy already summered at this place and hasn't gotten a full time offer, but it sounds to me like he's about to summer there after his 2L year, so of course they haven't made a full time offer.

I thought he was working there already - maybe a R/C fail on my part. I read quickly. Opp, which is the case?

Not the OP but the anon we're responding to said this:

Anonymous User wrote:haha, thanks. I am around here long enough that I know rad's typical responses.

I am working one of those firms this summer, so haven't started yet. Plus, I want to hear others' experience since I may not totally trust what my firm says.

So looks like 2L about to summer. That's what I assumed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm at a P firm in a small market making 65k first year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm the anon that you guys have responded, and I'm a 2L about to summer with this firm. Sorry for the confusion.

Jeremyl

Postby Jeremyl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious- for firms that specialize in stuff like personal injury, workers' comp, etc..., does anybody know where I can find data (or anyone has an idea here) on what a first-year associate is paid?

Fee Fi Foe Fum, I smell the blood of a 0L!

Thanks, Detective Hypocrite, Internet Police

Void

Postby Void » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Jeremyl wrote:
Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just curious- for firms that specialize in stuff like personal injury, workers' comp, etc..., does anybody know where I can find data (or anyone has an idea here) on what a first-year associate is paid?

Detective Penisface! So nice to see you again. So sweet of you to thank me- Your face is as penisy as ever!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Without identifying the firm I don't really know what possible answer you were hoping for, apart from "it varies." I can generally say that firms which do things like insurance defense or foreclosures don't pay well because they don't charge very much for their work. Writing up a relief from stay motion in a chapter 7 bankruptcy case takes about 15 minutes of copy-paste, and a well-trained dog could do it, so you can imagine that banks aren't very keen on running up a big bill for this sort of work, especially when the end goal is selling an underwater piece of real property in a dicey neighborhood at a foreclosure sale. A lot of these firms are leveraged to the hilt (I've seen some with ~5 partners and ~60 associates), so they pay as little as humanly possible and the quality of the work is, on the best day, mind-numbing.

OP, I'm assuming this is your only option if you're taking this as a summer gig, but take a good look at how the associates seem to like their lives there before you even consider taking an offer if they make one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Void wrote:
Jeremyl wrote:
Void wrote:

Detective Penisface! So nice to see you again. So sweet of you to thank me- Your face is as penisy as ever!

Play nice, children.

Return to “Legal Employment”