Biglaw in Atlanta

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw in Atlanta

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Is life as crazy in Biglaw in a secondary market like Atlanta as people make it out to be on these boards? I'm specifically thinking of this thread below, where anyone in Biglaw has made it pretty clear that Biglaw is awful.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=205718

The demands seem to be greater in NYC (which is where I gather most of the people in that thread practice). Is that accurate?

I noticed there is at least one firm in Atlanta that only requires 1900 billable hours, according to NALP. I know that is probably just the "minimum," and you are supposed to do more than that, but 1900 hours doesn't seem to fit the descriptions given in the thread above.

Specifically, I am curious about being in transactional practice (Tax, Real Estate).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom61

Re: Biglaw in Atlanta

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm

First, this is probably the wrong forum.

There are lots of threads on TLS about Atlanta biglaw, and how difficult it is to come by. Use the search function.

If you do somehow manage to get it, work-life balance will vary by firm, but hours requirements in markets like Atlanta are typically more reasonable than in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm

badaboom61 wrote:First, this is probably the wrong forum.

There are lots of threads on TLS about Atlanta biglaw, and how difficult it is to come by. Use the search function.

If you do somehow manage to get it, work-life balance will vary by firm, but hours requirements in markets like Atlanta are typically more reasonable than in NYC.

The only reason I started a new topic is because on the search function, everyone is talking about how hard it is to get into Biglaw in Atlanta. I am well-aware of the dim odds of getting in, but I am curious about what life generally looks like as a junior associate once you get there.

The main ones of interest to me are Troutman Sanders, Alston & Bird, and McKenna Long.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:First, this is probably the wrong forum.

The only reason I started a new topic is because on the search function, everyone is talking about how hard it is to get into Biglaw in Atlanta. I am well-aware of the dim odds of getting in, but I am curious about what life generally looks like as a junior associate once you get there.

The main ones of interest to me are Troutman Sanders, Alston & Bird, and McKenna Long.

You're best source would be talking to an associate there.

From what I know, the hours at these firms are much more reasonable than, say, New York firms, but that doesn't mean you won't be working your ass off, and partnership prospects are better than New York firms, but still highly unlikely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a classmate going to work at one of the big Atlanta firms (A&B, Paul Hastings, Jones Day, McKenna, etc) and they've told me that they are likely to be putting in 60-70 hour work weeks for the foreseeable future.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Are you a 0L? If so you are really putting the cart before the horse even asking about ATL big law. If that us your goal, your focus should be getting into a school that gives you a shot at ATL big law (ideally HYS or maybe UVA, Vandy, Emory, or UGA with a big scholarship - the latter probably only place the top 15% or so into big law; at UVA it is more like top third; below median is a nonstarter; BTW if ATL big law is your goal, you need HYS, southern T14 w $ or a school like Vandy, Emory, UGA, UF, etc w $$$$, perhaps a little less at Vandy.)

If you are a 1L hit the books (see above parenthetical). You are going to need some seriously good grades to get ATL big law. If you are a 2L, then it is pretty much too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Are you a 0L? If so you are really putting the cart before the horse even asking about ATL big law. If that us your goal, your focus should be getting into a school that gives you a shot at ATL big law (ideally HYS or maybe UVA, Vandy, Emory, or UGA with a big scholarship - the latter probably only place the top 15% or so into big law; at UVA it is more like top third; below median is a nonstarter; BTW if ATL big law is your goal, you need HYS, southern T14 w $ or a school like Vandy, Emory, UGA, UF, etc w $$$$, perhaps a little less at Vandy.)

If you are a 1L hit the books (see above parenthetical). You are going to need some seriously good grades to get ATL big law. If you are a 2L, then it is pretty much too late.

OP here. I am a 3L that will be starting at one of those three firms in the Fall. I have spoken with some of the lawyers at the firm about what it will be like to work there, but that was when they were interviewing me, and it wouldn't surprise me if I was getting overly optimistic answers.

Their answers seemed to conflict with the earlier cited thread. They made it sound not too bad at all.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:Are you a 0L? If so you are really putting the cart before the horse even asking about ATL big law. If that us your goal, your focus should be getting into a school that gives you a shot at ATL big law (ideally HYS or maybe UVA, Vandy, Emory, or UGA with a big scholarship - the latter probably only place the top 15% or so into big law; at UVA it is more like top third; below median is a nonstarter; BTW if ATL big law is your goal, you need HYS, southern T14 w $ or a school like Vandy, Emory, UGA, UF, etc w $$$$, perhaps a little less at Vandy.)

OP here. I am a 3L that will be starting at one of those three firms in the Fall. I have spoken with some of the lawyers at the firm about what it will be like to work there, but that was when they were interviewing me, and it wouldn't surprise me if I was getting overly optimistic answers.

Their answers seemed to conflict with the earlier cited thread. They made it sound not too bad at all.

Yup, life is just sunshine and rainbows as an associate. Even though non-NYC firms, especially A+B, love to style themselves as lifestyle firms, you should expect to bill 1900+. Biglaw is Biglaw. Despite whatever window dressing a firm hanges on itself during interviews, recognize that it's just hanging crepe even though they're calling it decorations.

There has to be an associate you have a close relationship with if you worked there during the past summer. Go out and grab lunch with him/her. Ask about what the expectations are. From my informational interviews with associates at those firms and similar firms, they billed 2,000 +/- 150 hours -- though real estate still sucks pretty bad.

I'm surprised you couldn't glean what expectations were during your time there. Associates at my firm were pretty open about discussing their hours (usually lamenting if they had a low billable month).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Omerta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yup, life is just sunshine and rainbows as an associate. Even though non-NYC firms, especially A+B, love to style themselves as lifestyle firms, you should expect to bill 1900+. Biglaw is Biglaw. Despite whatever window dressing a firm hanges on itself during interviews, recognize that it's just hanging crepe even though they're calling it decorations.

There has to be an associate you have a close relationship with if you worked there during the past summer. Go out and grab lunch with him/her. Ask about what the expectations are. From my informational interviews with associates at those firms and similar firms, they billed 2,000 +/- 150 hours -- though real estate still sucks pretty bad.

I'm surprised you couldn't glean what expectations were during your time there. Associates at my firm were pretty open about discussing their hours (usually lamenting if they had a low billable month).

What is different about these places real estate groups? From what I heard, none of the summer associates at A&B from this past summer are going to be working in the real estate group. I wonder if there's any significance to that, or if they just didn't think they had enough work.

It seems like the commercial real estate market has improved (and is improving).

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Omerta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is different about these places real estate groups? From what I heard, none of the summer associates at A&B from this past summer are going to be working in the real estate group. I wonder if there's any significance to that, or if they just didn't think they had enough work.

It seems like the commercial real estate market has improved (and is improving).

There's nothing different about the work; I implied that commercial real estate still sucks and that reale estate associates might have a hard time billing the hours they need to bill to stay in the firm's good graces.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Omerta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Omerta wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's nothing different about the work; I implied that commercial real estate still sucks and that reale estate associates might have a hard time billing the hours they need to bill to stay in the firm's good graces.

So, if you only plan to stay in Biglaw for 3 or so years, real estate is the way to go?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Oh well in that case I can relate to your question although I am going into NYC big law and in a firm where people notoriously bill a lot of hours, like 2400-2500. I am starting to get nervous. 1900 I don't think would be so bad (as I recall I billed above that pace as a summer and it was NBD - many of those summer hours unrealized, I'm sure) but I understand the sudden question of am I going to be able to adjust to this. My main concern with trying to bill 1900+ would be getting enough hours; that's also a concern when you're billing 2400 but the lifestyle issues become an even bigger concern at the 2400 level IMO.

One approach is to choose a practice that is known for having tame hours like tax or trusts and estates. Good luck! Maybe I will start a thread next year so we can all commiserate.....if I have the time haha

Return to “Legal Employment”