E-mail declining offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

E-mail declining offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi. I'm a paranoid 1L noob so please bear with my noob question: What/how do I decline an offer where I'd given the interviewer the impression that I really wanted the internship? They gave me two weeks to respond and I am declining 3 days before the deadline.

I feel quite terrible about it but have a better offer so I am just unsure as to how to decline without burning a bridge. I'd like the opportunity to possible work there in the future.

Lincoln

Re: E-mail declining offer

Postby Lincoln » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm

No one really cares about the wording as long as you are polite.

Dear ____,

It was a pleasure to visit your office and learn more about [insert name of office or whatever it is they do]. Although I truly appreciate your offer to intern with you this coming summer, I have decided to pursue another opportunity. I nonetheless hope we will get an opportunity to work together at some point in the future.

Sincerely,

Anon

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I'm a paranoid 1L noob so please bear with my noob question: What/how do I decline an offer where I'd given the interviewer the impression that I really wanted the internship? They gave me two weeks to respond and I am declining 3 days before the deadline.

I feel quite terrible about it but have a better offer so I am just unsure as to how to decline without burning a bridge. I'd like the opportunity to possible work there in the future.

Are their phones broken? Or do you not have a phone?

Call. Don't email.

And when you call, begin with something pithy like "Thank you so much for offer, and while I enjoyed meeting everyone at the office and have no doubt I would have benefited tremendously with the opportunity to work with all of the amazing people there, I have ____."

Void

Postby Void » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I'm a paranoid 1L noob so please bear with my noob question: What/how do I decline an offer where I'd given the interviewer the impression that I really wanted the internship? They gave me two weeks to respond and I am declining 3 days before the deadline.

Call. Don't email.

And when you call, begin with something pithy like "Thank you so much for offer, and while I enjoyed meeting everyone at the office and have no doubt I would have benefited tremendously with the opportunity to work with all of the amazing people there, I have ____."

Why would you call? That seems crazy to me. If I were this employer I would be pissed off that I wasted my time taking a call from some 1L declining my internship offer. I think a short but polite email is the right way to do it.

DebtandTaxes

Postby DebtandTaxes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:20 am

Email. Do not call.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 am

ajax adonis wrote:Would you guys say the same if it was a full-time offer?

If I was turning down a full-time offer at the end of a summer associateship, I would definitely call my partner/mentor/whatever. But for a 1L internship, although I don't think it's a big deal either way, I would probably shoot an email (that the person won't read beyond "I have decided to pursue another opportunity").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:22 pm

anon168 wrote:

OP here: Are you typically rude when you offer suggestions?

Return to “Legal Employment”