1L summer - New Firm or Federal Internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer - New Firm or Federal Internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 pm

So I've been offered an internship with an attorney who recently started a small firm. He's a veteran litigator with the utmost credentials and is well-connected within his market.

I've also been offered an interview with a federal magistrate judge. I'm not sure I'll get it, but I'm confident in my interview ability and have excellent recommendations.

I'm interested in litigation and I sincerely believe there is no better exposure I can gain than from this particular attorney. I think I would feel more comfortable with him as well. At the same time I know judicial internships are hard to come by. Would I be crazy to turn down the interview? My concern is that I'll be offered the position on the spot and be put in the position of possibly having to turn down a judge. I don't want to do that. But if I know that this is the better option, then I'll take the interview. Thoughts?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: 1L summer - New Firm or Federal Internship?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't actually think judicial internships are that hard to come by, though I guess it depends where your law school is and how many judges/schools are in the area. I would say, take the internship with the attorney, and do a judicial externship for credit during the school year. (Competition during the school year for jobs of any kind is normally less because it's limited to the local people, not everyone from every T-14 who wants to be in your market who comes there over the summer. IME, anyway - again, it probably varies.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't actually think judicial internships are that hard to come by, though I guess it depends where your law school is and how many judges/schools are in the area. I would say, take the internship with the attorney, and do a judicial externship for credit during the school year. (Competition during the school year for jobs of any kind is normally less because it's limited to the local people, not everyone from every T-14 who wants to be in your market who comes there over the summer. IME, anyway - again, it probably varies.)

Thanks. One of the perks would be that he has connections to several mid-size-to-large law firms within his market, and he said he could introduce me to attorneys in many of those firms. I'm not sure how law firm hiring works, but my grades were not stellar first semester and I'm at a solid tier 2 so I can't help but wonder if networking would make a difference. I told him that the main reason that I wanted to work for a judge is so that I could have a tangible work product by the end of the summer (e.g. a bench memo or an opinion), and he said that is definitely something to consider in making the decision. But he was really selling me on this idea and I trust his judgment completely. Are there are substantive advantages to working in a small firm vice magistrate judge's chambers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm

OP I worked for a judge, although I did a good deal of writing I did not get a writing sample out of it. Firstly, most of the cases would settle or be nolle prossed or were still going through the various stages of litigation after I left (so i never got a complete work product, or at least not one I though was that great). Secondly, you generally cant use a final opinion from a judge even if you wrote significant portions of it.

No one cares what you did 1L summer unless you get an SA, which makes you look somewhat "better." All that really matters for 2L oci is grades/ranking.

I use a writing sample from a course and have gotten told it was great at every interview, no one says "why didn't you get one while working with the judge"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

Return to “Legal Employment”