Requesting Start and End Dates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Requesting Start and End Dates

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I have a full-summer, unpaid 1L internship in DC this summer. They asked for my start and end dates and said they are flexible. Would it be alright to request June 1- July 31 (8.5 weeks)?

I thought doing two calendar months would make subletting easier/cheaper. I wanted to spend the rest of the summer with family and do some pro bono in my hometown. I am T14 with biglaw goals.

Is there an unwritten understanding that I need to request a full 10 weeks? Is there an etiquette here?

jessuf

Re: Requesting Start and End Dates

Postby jessuf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Well, 8.5 weeks is generally not full summer. 10-12 weeks is. Why don't you just ask them instead of TLS?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:05 pm

It's unpaid. Just put summer 2013 on your resume and nobody cares.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm in a similar situation - 1L externing for COA judge who gave me my choice of start and end dates. I chose exactly 8 weeks for housing reasons (June 3 - July 26), and no one has seemed to think it matters at all. Just put 'Summer 2013' on your resume and you should be fine.

ETA: I suppose it might matter that in my offer letter, the judge said I could choose to do anywhere from 6-11 weeks. Perhaps that's why I felt fine going for 8, but I think you should still be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”