What Else Should I Be Doing? (3L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What Else Should I Be Doing? (3L)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm a 3L who's interested in what else I should be doing to find a post-grad job. I already have finished final-round interviews with DA offices, and I'm currently waiting to see if I made the final round of the PMF Program.

I am interested in public interest/government positions; law firms aren't really for me. I am at a school in the T15-17 range. I've been on the Dean's List twice, and won the book award for two courses. GPA's at ~ 3.45.

What else should I be doing to find a job? Where should I look? I think my resume's good enough to find something, but I've applied to everything I can find. Anyone have some help/ideas? Thanks!

Agent

Re: What Else Should I Be Doing? (3L)

Postby Agent » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 am

I recommend that you search this forum for networking discussions.

Myself

Re: What Else Should I Be Doing? (3L).

Postby Myself » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: What Else Should I Be Doing? (3L)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 am

Agreed with the prior posters -- network as much as you can. Talk to professors who have practiced or have knowledge about areas that interest you (even if they haven't practiced, they may be able to put you in touch with contacts who have). Try to set up informational meetings/talks with people in the fields that interest you. Seriously, cold e-mail alums of your college/law school in organizations and ask if they have a few minutes to discuss their work or career path with you. They might ignore you, but at least some people will say yes. Don't frame it at all like you are asking for a job, and that really isn't your purpose - ask them for advice on how they got where they are, how people get experience in the field, whatever. The advice itself will help you, whether or not they become someone you stay in touch with and who might be able to refer you for a job. I know it all seems excessive and pointless at the time, because it is more of a long-term strategy than an actual job search, but it often works.

Return to “Legal Employment”