Anyone gotten BigLaw this late

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone gotten BigLaw this late

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Obviously the ship sailed MONTHS ago and I know the chances are slim to none. But has any 2L, who wasn't supposed to be a Dewey SA last year, been offered a summer associate job this late in the year. Strategies? Was it a new office that missed fall recruiting or was it a program that had been full but a slot opened up?

bdubs

Re: Anyone gotten BigLaw this late

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously the ship sailed MONTHS ago and I know the chances are slim to none. But has any 2L, who wasn't supposed to be a Dewey SA last year, been offered a summer associate job this late in the year. Strategies? Was it a new office that missed fall recruiting or was it a program that had been full but a slot opened up?

These are internships, not full-time offers, you are talking about. These positions are loss leaders so that they can get bodies in the door in 16 months, not something that they fill because there is a desperate need for an intern. Concentrate on getting something that makes you marketable as a 3L for full-time when firms are actually hiring based on a real need.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 pm

I know people who have gotten regional/mid-law summer associate jobs this late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

cinephile wrote:I know people who have gotten regional/mid-law summer associate jobs this late.

Thanks! I've already moved onto 3L and have basically cultivated every hiring partner in my city as a connection. They *seem* to like me, so who knows?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Last year, I was offered a big law SA this late in the year. It's a firm that has a lot of smaller offices - the office I worked in has less than 50 attorneys. That particular office hadn't brought in any SAs in a couple years and I think they were just out of the habit of going through traditional recruiting channels. The SA paid well and I'll be returning to the firm after graduation......

The firm actually just had a resume collect posted on my second-tier school's symplicity. I even live in a different state (but my school is about 100 miles from the office). I was shocked when I got the call.... I applied for the job about this time of year and I don't think I got the offer until early April.

When I applied, I sent a letter to the main recruiter in their headquarters (across the country) because the resume collect didn't take a cover letter. When I went in for my interview - they never saw the cover letter, they only got my resume from the resume collect.... The national recruiter didn't forward the letter.....

It seemed the office was completely in control of the details of my program, excluding the pay, length, and training (lots of webinars). So I was able to get the benefits of the bigfirm - but through a small firm recruiting channel.

I don't know if that is helpful - but getting a sweet job this late is not impossible. I have good grades at a second tier school - but I'm not on LR. I guess if I had any advice, it would be to look for big firms with small offices. They might be in control of their recruiting and choose not to follow the traditional hiring model.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last year, I was offered a big law SA this late in the year. It's a firm that has a lot of smaller offices - the office I worked in has less than 50 attorneys. That particular office hadn't brought in any SAs in a couple years and I think they were just out of the habit of going through traditional recruiting channels. The SA paid well and I'll be returning to the firm after graduation......

The firm actually just had a resume collect posted on my second-tier school's symplicity. I even live in a different state (but my school is about 100 miles from the office). I was shocked when I got the call.... I applied for the job about this time of year and I don't think I got the offer until early April.

When I applied, I sent a letter to the main recruiter in their headquarters (across the country) because the resume collect didn't take a cover letter. When I went in for my interview - they never saw the cover letter, they only got my resume from the resume collect.... The national recruiter didn't forward the letter.....

It seemed the office was completely in control of the details of my program, excluding the pay, length, and training (lots of webinars). So I was able to get the benefits of the bigfirm - but through a small firm recruiting channel.

I don't know if that is helpful - but getting a sweet job this late is not impossible. I have good grades at a second tier school - but I'm not on LR. I guess if I had any advice, it would be to look for big firms with small offices. They might be in control of their recruiting and choose not to follow the traditional hiring model.

Good luck!

OP here. Thanks a lot for this. You have no idea how often I refresh the Symplicity page. It's kind of frightening.

Just to confirm - the office you worked at posted the resume collect?

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Last year, I was offered a big law SA this late in the year. It's a firm that has a lot of smaller offices - the office I worked in has less than 50 attorneys. That particular office hadn't brought in any SAs in a couple years and I think they were just out of the habit of going through traditional recruiting channels. The SA paid well and I'll be returning to the firm after graduation......

Good luck!

OP here. Thanks a lot for this. You have no idea how often I refresh the Symplicity page. It's kind of frightening.

Just to confirm - the office you worked at posted the resume collect?

I guess it was someone from my office - there is a chance someone from my office told headquarters they wanted candidates and headquarters did it....

But the post on symplicity said something like "Law Firm Name - X City Office". The person from my office said she chose 5 or 6 candidates from the pile of resumes. There was no screening interview - just one trip to the office where I interviewed with a bunch of attorneys...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Yes, I received a BigLaw offer this week. With that being said, it did NOT come from a simplicity post or direct mail. At this point in the cycle, we are well past "wholesale" and have moved into "retail." I went and sat down with our Dean of IP and he reached out to some friends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:06 pm

I got my offer during the reading period last April. It was a new office that opened up after fall recruiting. I never saw the position advertised and heard about it through a family member who knew people at the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Curtis Mallet-Prevost just made an offer for an SA in their NY office - though, I think they are now done.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm

There is still stuff in symplicity and a few market paying small/mid size shops in NYC still hiring so good luck :).

People talk about the bad odds, but its also not 0... You see outliers and people without SAs getting something in 3L OCI every year, just rare...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13 pm

kryptix wrote:There is still stuff in symplicity and a few market paying small/mid size shops in NYC still hiring so good luck :).

People talk about the bad odds, but its also not 0... You see outliers and people without SAs getting something in 3L OCI every year, just rare...

care to share which firms are listed on your symplicity? thanks :)

Return to “Legal Employment”