Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273357
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Someone commented in one of these threads that PI jobs might be less likely to accept you, if you have really high grades for a bunch of reasons (they think u def going to biglaw next year, or they dont think u will actually work there ext.)

Is that a thing?

I have top 10% at T-14 and got rejected from a bunch of PI jobs that I have direct experience in, and for the most part only got interviews from the more prestigious PI jobs out there. I guess im wondering if thats the reason why.


thanks

Pokemon
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Pokemon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:46 pm

I doubt it, but impossible to tell. The most likely scenario is that such places hire so few people that getting a jerb there can be somewhat random. I doubt places tell themselves though that we are not good enough for this student, so we should not interview him/her.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273357
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I have since been hired by a PI employer post-grad, but I believe I was rejected, at least in part, because I had high grades (top 10%). I didn't even get an interview with a local PI employer who hires a lot of students from our school. This is the employer I came to law school wanting to work for and am now working for. I honestly can't think of any reasons why I wouldn't even have been interviewed other than they assumed I'd do something else because of my grades. I had a career prior to law school in public service as well...

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I think that they would reject people who use "u" instead of "you." The inability to add two more letters would be a clear sign of laziness.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

No, it's almost certainly something people are saying to save their fragile egos.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:No, it's almost certainly something people are saying to save their fragile egos.

+1. And, it makes no sense in the 1l context because most PI shops are simply using the free labor and do not expect to hire a large number of interns for future full time positions.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Void » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have since been hired by a PI employer post-grad, but I believe I was rejected, at least in part, because I had high grades (top 10%). I didn't even get an interview with a local PI employer who hires a lot of students from our school. This is the employer I came to law school wanting to work for and am now working for. I honestly can't think of any reasons why I wouldn't even have been interviewed other than they assumed I'd do something else because of my grades. I had a career prior to law school in public service as well...


If you're working for them, just ask them why you weren't interviewed to begin with. Boom. Done.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes all those PI orgs who are STRUGGLING to find candidates for fulltime offers.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone commented in one of these threads that PI jobs might be less likely to accept you, if you have really high grades for a bunch of reasons (they think u def going to biglaw next year, or they dont think u will actually work there ext.)

Is that a thing?

I have top 10% at T-14 and got rejected from a bunch of PI jobs that I have direct experience in, and for the most part only got interviews from the more prestigious PI jobs out there. I guess im wondering if thats the reason why.


thanks


A large number of PI organizations don't even ask for grades, so no.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273357
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 pm

so then maybe these ppl arnt getting jobs bc grades are ignored and prob without grades there are a ton of ppl with better apps

Anonymous User
Posts: 273357
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is PI 1l jobs rejecting u bc of high grades a thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 pm

This is definitely a thing. Its either Big law or shit law. So either try to score top 10% or aim for the median for PI.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.