Clearing Conflicts Checks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clearing Conflicts Checks

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm

I've received and accepted an offer for post-clerkship employment from a firm that's on the opposite side of a case on which I performed doc review on at my previous employer. The case is one of the biggest cases at each firm.

It seems that my offer now hinges on whether or not my old employer will waive the conflict.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it typically granted as a matter of course, so long as the ethical wall is maintained?

Just looking for some peace of mind, as I can't help but fear the worst case scenario of my former (big law) employer essentially holding my offer hostage.

novawife

Re: Clearing Conflicts Checks

Postby novawife » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've received and accepted an offer for post-clerkship employment from a firm that's on the opposite side of a case on which I performed doc review on at my previous employer. The case is one of the biggest cases at each firm.

It seems that my offer now hinges on whether or not my old employer will waive the conflict.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it typically granted as a matter of course, so long as the ethical wall is maintained?

Just looking for some peace of mind, as I can't help but fear the worst case scenario of my former (big law) employer essentially holding my offer hostage.

I'm not from an IP background but i have a friend who is a patent agent (PhD-holder in ME) at a law firm and also goes to law school as a part-time student. The friend got an offer as a student associate from a nationally acclaimed law firm that's specialized in patent law. offer was contingent on waiver from current employer, and the story didn't end well--current employer refused to sign the waiver although there were no apparent conflicts from pending cases in either firm, and the friend had to let go the offer.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm

I wonder it would be easier to obtain a waiver for a non-IP matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Agent wrote:I wonder it would be easier to obtain a waiver for a non-IP matter.

OP here: I'm not IP...apologies if I gave that impression? It was a standard big law style financial case.

Return to “Legal Employment”