1L Striking Out with Firms...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Striking Out with Firms...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 pm

So to start with I know that 1L big-firm jobs are relatively rare and hard to get. That being said: I'm top 5% at a top-20 school after my first semester of 1L. I was able to secure 9 different interviews for this upcoming semester. However, I ended up striking out and not getting a single offer.

I've never had any problems with interviews in the past: in fact, until this semester, I received an offer after every interview I ever had. Before these interviews, I did a few mock interviews sponsored by our law school and all went really well. Should it be worrying me for the next few months that I did not get a single offer from a firm after 9 interviews?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Striking Out with Firms...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 pm

i wouldn't sweat it. i'm top 10% at a top 10, struck out too, but i'm a terrible interviewer (very personable but tend to sweat and be so unsmooth when i know i'm being judged - plan on working on it this summer). i only had 2 interviews but was told that my interview was really good and i was "entertaining" - dk what this means, but i do tend to make people laugh a lot just talking about general stuff (prob bad) but it was geographic, etc.

i have a friend at my top 10 who might be 1 in the whole grade who hasn't secured anything yet either. i think they really want the perfect candidate for 1l including where they were born, etc. and it isn't indicative.

still i understand the stress of working so hard to do so well and not knowing if you're even guaranteed any job. it takes away motivation from studying but fight it!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Couldn't hurt to contact anyone you had a connection with at those firms you interviewed with and ask if they have any advice (assuming this was pretty recent) or do a couple more mock interviews.

Also, how concerned you should be depends on the firms. Example: if you were a Vandy 1L from Alabama who struck out w all the Bham firms? That's bad. You a UT 1L and strike out w all the TX firms? Probably also bad.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm in nearly the same boat. Had six big law OCI interviews. 3 callbacks. The first one, the offer went to someone else. The second one, the callback was a week ago and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting. They told me they would decide this week. I have another callback on Thursday. Three of the interviews I didn't get a callback at all, which was disappointing. I honestly thought all of the interviews went very well, and I'm top of my class at a T50 school. I can't figure out if there is something I'm doing wrong, or if it's just that there are so few positions.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Getting 3 CBs from 6 screeners is pretty normal, probably better than normal

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

I am in the same boat. Any advices guys? Too late for externship with judges. And public interest won't hire cause my grades are too high and they think I am not committed to PI. Worst scenario ever.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Worst scenario ever.

lol whatever boo fucking hoo

just go RA for a prof or something

it's a 1L job

none of them are prestigious

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in the same boat. Any advices guys? Too late for externship with judges. And public interest won't hire cause my grades are too high and they think I am not committed to PI. Worst scenario ever.

The worst scenario ever would be graduating with a mountain of debt and no job. Step off with your weak ass bullshit, son.

Go do some work for some poors and hope/pray/etc. that you get a 2L SA. 1L SAs are notoriously hard to get.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in the same boat. Any advices guys? Too late for externship with judges. And public interest won't hire cause my grades are too high and they think I am not committed to PI. Worst scenario ever.

Lousy flame.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Lousy flame.

So lousy that I actually hope he doesn't get a job.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 am

First, this is pretty close to anon abuse

Second, it's not because your grades are too high. trust me.

(Third, this is probably a flame...)

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JessNovember

Postby JessNovember » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Now is not the time to worry. If 2L rolls around and you have 25 screeners and 1 CB, that's when you worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Dude just cruise this summer. Be a RA or do some bullshit externship. With your grades, no one will care come OCI time. When you get older, you will never regret taking a summer to focus on your beer-drinking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Looking like I went 0 for 6 on 1L SA callbacks and I'm at worst an average interviewer. Just a tough market for 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Was 5/17 on interviews, 2/17 on offers. The only reason I even got 2 offers was because I'm an IP guy. I'm pretty damn lucky, I know most people in my section haven't had any luck with firms

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 pm

This thread is giving me an angry twitch.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm

TTRansfer wrote:This thread is giving me an angry twitch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 am

I got the impression that 1L SA hiring was even more about "fit" and interviewing well than 2L SA hiring, cause i'm below median at T10 and got an offer. Don't know how else that would happen.

Return to “Legal Employment”