NYC/DC Networking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goldeneye

NYC/DC Networking

Postby goldeneye » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:40 am

If I would prefer to end up in new york city but have a partner contact in the dc office, does it still make sense to network with them? Will they have any influence in the New York office?

LawIdiot86

Re: NYC/DC Networking

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 am

Does networking with them either preclude you from networking with someone else or interfere with your ability to get good grades? If not, then go ahead and network with them. It can't hurt to know more about the firm and if you figure out that the firm runs as one big happy family, it'll help to have networked with them.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Does networking with them either preclude you from networking with someone else or interfere with your ability to get good grades? If not, then go ahead and network with them. It can't hurt to know more about the firm and if you figure out that the firm runs as one big happy family, it'll help to have networked with them.

Thanks. Good points.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Of course you should network with him or her. Two very possible direct benefits:
1) In your cover letter, you reference your discussions with the partner as part of the reason for your interest in the firm. Then in interviews, you name drop freely as a reason for your interest and as evidence of your willingness to invest an effort in learning about the firm.
2) You stay in contact with partner for a little while, exchange a few emails, and then say, "Hey, I'm applying to the New York office of your firm. Do you have any advice about the best approach/how to best present myself/how to make my application stand out?" And then partner says, "Sure, send me your resume and I'll make sure recruiter in NYC takes a look."

Return to “Legal Employment”