What would you do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Hoping I can get some advice. I am a 2L with a part time paid job at a 30 lawyer firm. While the job was great for the first month, there has been no work for me to do for the past month! When I was hired I was told that any work that needed to be completed would be sent directly to me, no need to ask around. While I enjoyed the work the first month, I have an offer to intern with a large PDs office this summer, and I have applied for fellowships to finance it. Knowing that I will most likely either quit this job at the end of the summer would you quit now to focus on school, or would you stick it out for the pay check. Thanks!

hangtime813

Re: What would you do?

Postby hangtime813 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm

if you stayed with your firm now, would you get offered full time? if you went with PD, would u get offered? i think that would make a big difference, even if you made up your mind that you want to leave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

hangtime813 wrote:if you stayed with your firm now, would you get offered full time? if you went with PD, would u get offered? i think that would make a big difference, even if you made up your mind that you want to leave.

OP here. I would get offered full time for the summer but the pay is less than even average I'd argue (around 10.25/hr). My offer from the PD is full time for the summer btu unpaid, though I am farily certain I will get the fellowship I applied for through my school which woudl equal out to around 10.50 an hour.

hangtime813

Postby hangtime813 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 pm

hmmm okay, just my two cents: if you are certain you wanna get out of your current law firm, i would probably still stay a little longer just to show on your resume that i didnt bounce after a month or two. It might look kinda weird on your resume if you say you were with a firm for just 2 months or something, if it were for 4 or 5, u can say it at least ended when the semester ended or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”