Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am

I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby Lincoln » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 am

It's highly unlikely they would ding you because of that. They likely mean what they say and look forward to getting another shot at working with you.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby piccolittle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.

No, you're not doomed - if they were hoping to give you an offer you're probably in an even better position with them than most of your classmates. These things happen all the time.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

Jsa725 wrote:Wait... You told the firm you took gov job? I would have accepted gov job and waited to see if firm offered .... If the firm offered, I would have weighed the pros and cons of retracting my acceptance with gov. Why shut the door ITE?


Wow, some ethics you have! I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing but I'd at least have the decency to not promote the line of thinking to my law school brethern. Moar jobs for me :lol:

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.


They won't care. Also, this:

Jsa725 wrote:Wait... You told the firm you took gov job? I would have accepted gov job and waited to see if firm offered .... If the firm offered, I would have weighed the pros and cons of retracting my acceptance with gov. Why shut the door ITE?

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Wait... You told the firm you took gov job? I would have accepted gov job and waited to see if firm offered .... If the firm offered, I would have weighed the pros and cons of retracting my acceptance with gov. Why shut the door ITE?


This x infinity.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.