Membership in clubs & its impact on employers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bb8900

Membership in clubs & its impact on employers?

Postby bb8900 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 am

How much do you guys think being the president of clubs on campus (like the law & business club, or IP club, or the like) have an impact on when a hiring partner looks at your resume?

Do you think it shows initiative or do you think partners don't give a sh*t?

Lastly, do you think it significantly helps for meeting potential employers/connections?

thesealocust

Re: Membership in clubs & its impact on employers?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 am

bb8900 wrote:How much do you guys think being the president of clubs on campus (like the law & business club, or IP club, or the like) have an impact on when a hiring partner looks at your resume?

Lastly, do you think it significantly helps for meeting potential employers/connections?

They don't give a shit and it won't matter at all.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 am

I was hoping this thread was about country club memberships.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:21 am

thesealocust wrote:
bb8900 wrote:How much do you guys think being the president of clubs on campus (like the law & business club, or IP club, or the like) have an impact on when a hiring partner looks at your resume?

I largely agree, but I will say this. I think that if you don't have demonstrable experience or interest in the type of law you're planning on telling employers you're interested in, membership or leadership in groups on campus can help you build your "narrative" to a certain extent come interview time. Not that this necessarily helps you get the job, but it can make answering the "Why X?" question easier and more coherent. I suspect this is more applicable to smaller, more niche practice areas -- say, environmental work or trusts & estates. All that said, it's probably not worth it to take on a significant time commitment.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 am

Holding an elected position may also signal that you're not a complete jerk or social outcast.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Agent wrote:Holding an elected position may also signal that you're not a complete jerk or social outcast.

Yeah. If it helps at all, it'll be at the margins. I'm the president of one org, treasurer of another, and on the board of a third.

Nobody mentioned my involvement with the org I'm president of, probably because my resume signals I'm interested in that type of law in other, more unique ways. One of the others is SALDF (animal rights org), and I was asked a question about that at a callback, but that's probably because it's easy to make a connection through a conversation about loving puppies.

I think it could help you get a screener over someone with similar grades and work experience but no leadership experience just because it shows (1) you're likable enough to be elected to something and (2) that you take initiative. It won't help you outperform your credentials, though, just maybe keep you from underperforming.

ETA: From a networking standpoint, though, it's awesome. I've been able to network with numerous attorneys in my field of interest through my position. It's a conversation starter.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 pm

It could lead to a good conversation in an interview, which is always a plus. But hiring committees don't care about those things when evaluating candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:35 pm

my partner at the summer law is in a pretty exclusive club full of bankers. I think the club's entry fee alone is 100k USD something. Apparently that helps him a lot with his business development activities.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 am

being president of whatever club means nothing; however, being a member of certain clubs opens up opportunities that non-members wouldn't have (e.g., diversity 1L SAs, diversity fairs)

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:my partner at the summer law is in a pretty exclusive club full of bankers. I think the club's entry fee alone is 100k USD something. Apparently that helps him a lot with his business development activities.

if you can drop 100k on membership, you prob didn't need much help to begin with. lol

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

Unless you're trying to telegraph an affinity group, club membership has no bearing whatsoever.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

I would think being president of a business club or society shows some commitment to business law and that you have some leadership initiative and skills.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 am

thesealocust wrote:

Disagree. I wanted to work internationally and showing a true interest in the practice by being on the journal I was on along with my clubs probably made me stand out a little bit more than someone who was like " I want to be in London because I like Big Ben".

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 am

Journal =/= clubs.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am

While I would agree tha 99% of the time it doesn't matter, I know for a fact that a friend of mine ended up getting his SA because of a club he was involved with. It did not happen through OCI though, he met with some partners at a firm after OCI while organizing an event for said club, they got to talking, he ended up with a call back and offer.

Edit: this is obviously the exception, but it shows how club membership can help in making contacts outside of OCI.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Journal =/= clubs.

Yeah, my bad. Sometimes it feels like a club though esp. with all the politicing during election time.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:

lol ditto.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I think it's good to have something to talk about. I wouldn't want to go into OCI with no activities on my resume, especially if you've never held a real job. If things you've done in law school have given you any experience or insight into what you might like to do, then it can be a good conversation piece. That said I don't think anyone really cares about it substantively.

Return to “Legal Employment”