First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:00 pm

RE: having vacations respected. Even the people I know who work at "sweatshop" firms have been left alone on vacation as juniors. And, in return, you're expected to pick up the slack when others on your team are on vacation.

v20lawyer
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby v20lawyer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Objection wrote:
v20lawyer wrote:This thread has devolved into way too much crying. Yes, biglaw can be tough (at times, very tough). Regardless, it's a great start to a career and generally isn't that bad all things considered.


This thread has evolved into the dose of reality that the Always Sunny in Big Law crowd on TLS needed.

Just because you've been beaten into accepting willingly bought into the system doesn't change that most people who value anything other than work should not want to do big law.


Maybe it's not the whole thread that's devolved into crying, it's just you crying loudly.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby danitt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

v20lawyer wrote:
Objection wrote:
v20lawyer wrote:This thread has devolved into way too much crying. Yes, biglaw can be tough (at times, very tough). Regardless, it's a great start to a career and generally isn't that bad all things considered.


This thread has evolved into the dose of reality that the Always Sunny in Big Law crowd on TLS needed.

Just because you've been beaten into accepting willingly bought into the system doesn't change that most people who value anything other than work should not want to do big law.


Maybe it's not the whole thread that's devolved into crying, it's just you crying loudly.

I don't think Objection accepts that anyone can actually want biglaw unless they are a sad sorry shell of a human.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:15 pm

danitt wrote:
v20lawyer wrote:
Objection wrote:
v20lawyer wrote:This thread has devolved into way too much crying. Yes, biglaw can be tough (at times, very tough). Regardless, it's a great start to a career and generally isn't that bad all things considered.


This thread has evolved into the dose of reality that the Always Sunny in Big Law crowd on TLS needed.

Just because you've been beaten into accepting willingly bought into the system doesn't change that most people who value anything other than work should not want to do big law.


Maybe it's not the whole thread that's devolved into crying, it's just you crying loudly.

I don't think Objection accepts that anyone can actually want biglaw unless they are a sad sorry shell of a human.


Oh, I think there are some who fit in perfectly with big law.

But for every person who truly fits in and enjoys big law, I guarantee you there are 5 who defend it simply as a form of post-hoc rationalization, and another 5 who just hate it in silence.

If my crying leads one person to change their minds about law school/big law, it's worth it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Objection wrote:Oh, I think there are some who fit in perfectly with big law.

But for every person who truly fits in and enjoys big law, I guarantee you there are 5 who defend it simply as a form of post-hoc rationalization, and another 5 who just hate it in silence.

If my crying leads one person to change their minds about law school/big law, it's worth it.


What kind of person fits in well with big law?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Objection wrote:Oh, I think there are some who fit in perfectly with big law.

But for every person who truly fits in and enjoys big law, I guarantee you there are 5 who defend it simply as a form of post-hoc rationalization, and another 5 who just hate it in silence.

If my crying leads one person to change their minds about law school/big law, it's worth it.


What kind of person fits in well with big law?


I don't know that there's a type that you can predict it from, I just know that there are certainly people who enjoy and thrive in big law. They're pretty rare, but they exist.

As I said before, I also think it might be easier to enjoy big law as a corporate associate rather than litigation.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:31 pm

I think objection is being overly pessimistic, especially since leaving so quickly after he started.

Either that or don't do big firm litigation.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Objection wrote:
nealric wrote:
Objection wrote:People still focused only on hours. Good little ostriches.

I'll give an example from LA big law. A couple friends were asked to write an article for publication. They were told they'd get co-authorship credit with the partner. When they finished, the senior associate who had passed the assignment down to them said "thanks. Unfortunately, we were mistaken about you getting authorship credit. Only the partner and I will be listed. But thank you so much for your hard work."

This attitude and treatment is the norm.


Not my experience at all. Juniors at my (NYC) firm almost always get credit as one of the authors.


How about the briefs you write?

Are you included in the signature block?


Not a litigator, so not relevant to me. As an aside, I think the key to big law happiness is to pick a niche. Do tax, ERISA, or IP and you will be much happier.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Yup, life is just sunshine and rainbows as an associate. Even though non-NYC firms, especially A+B, love to style themselves as lifestyle firms, you should expect to bill 1900+. Biglaw is Biglaw. Despite whatever window dressing a firm hanges on itself during interviews, recognize that it's just hanging crepe even though they're calling it decorations.

There has to be an associate you have a close relationship with if you worked there during the past summer. Go out and grab lunch with him/her. Ask about what the expectations are. From my informational interviews with associates at those firms and similar firms, they billed 2,000 +/- 150 hours -- though real estate still sucks pretty bad.

I'm surprised you couldn't glean what expectations were during your time there. Associates at my firm were pretty open about discussing their hours (usually lamenting if they had a low billable month).


This was literally posted in the Atlanta big law thread. "Even though non-NYC firms"--that implies that these firms are going to be like NYC firms in terms of expectations. He then follows it by saying that the expectation is 1900+.

The expectation in NYC is 2700+. If I could get by with 2,000 hours, I would have the sweetest job in the world. Easily.

But this just goes to what I said above. People shouldn't post that hours in x market are "bad" or "good." They should give numbers. Perception is subjective. 2,100 hours might seem like a lot to a person working at Edwards Wildman in Chicago, but it's a cakewalk for the average S&C associate. It has nothing to do with "eliteness" and everything to do with the expectations of a particular firm.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Yup, life is just sunshine and rainbows as an associate. Even though non-NYC firms, especially A+B, love to style themselves as lifestyle firms, you should expect to bill 1900+. Biglaw is Biglaw. Despite whatever window dressing a firm hanges on itself during interviews, recognize that it's just hanging crepe even though they're calling it decorations.

There has to be an associate you have a close relationship with if you worked there during the past summer. Go out and grab lunch with him/her. Ask about what the expectations are. From my informational interviews with associates at those firms and similar firms, they billed 2,000 +/- 150 hours -- though real estate still sucks pretty bad.

I'm surprised you couldn't glean what expectations were during your time there. Associates at my firm were pretty open about discussing their hours (usually lamenting if they had a low billable month)

This was literally posted in the Atlanta big law thread. "Even though non-NYC firms"--that implies that these firms are going to be like NYC firms in terms of expectations. He then follows it by saying that the expectation is 1900+.

The expectation in NYC is 2700+. If I could get by with 2,000 hours, I would have the sweetest job in the world. Easily.

But this just goes to what I said above. People shouldn't post that hours in x market are "bad" or "good." They should give numbers. Perception is subjective. 2,100 hours might seem like a lot to a person working at Edwards Wildman in Chicago, but it's a cakewalk for the average S&C associate. It has nothing to do with "eliteness" and everything to do with the expectations of a particular firm.


Maybe the expectation is 2700 in V5 M&A or Quinn litigation, but that is certainly not the expectation at my firm, and I would wager it is well above average for NYC big law associates as a whole. A senior partner at my firm (v50-100) recently referred to an associate as having a "blowout" year with 2500 hours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:I think we need to quantify things, objections weird example aside.

At a top NYC firm, 2700+ is the norm if you want to make partner. I've heard and seen some make it with 2400, but it's hard to tell when everyone above me tells me I'm average for my class and I am above 2700.

Some CA firms are sweatshops for sure. But at most firms, the hours are a little lower. Expectations, if you want to make partner, are around 2400. And you can last pretty long by doing 2200. I even know firms where 2000 is considered a "bad year."

Now, to some, 2,400 might seem "bad" or "tough," but sadly it isn't. There's a substantial life quality difference between 2,700 and 2,400, and it just increases by several orders of magnitude the wider the disparity becomes.

Bottom line: If you're billing 2100 and makin market, you have zero right to complain. If you're billing 2800 and getting market, lord help yourself and get the fuck out of there. That is unless you enjoy it, of course.

I am an SFer and what I know of the far-off magical world of NYC big laws is basically a mishmash of rumor, hearsay and TLS, but I was pretty much unaware that 2700-2800 was the norm in NYC. I thought that 2400-2500 was the norm, and you only saw associates billing 2800ish either at notoriously brutal firms like WLRK/CSM or if they were that one adderall-addled gunner in every associate class. But if 2700+ really is the norm, then NYC is indeed worse than SF.

I can definitely say that at the bigger firms here (Quinn, MoFo, etc.), 2,400 is about the lowest you can consistently get away with.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 pm

2800 is not the norm at all.

2300-2500 is more likely.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Objection wrote:People still focused only on hours. Good little ostriches.

I'll give an example from LA big law. A couple friends were asked to write an article for publication. They were told they'd get co-authorship credit with the partner. When they finished, the senior associate who had passed the assignment down to them said "thanks. Unfortunately, we were mistaken about you getting authorship credit. Only the partner and I will be listed. But thank you so much for your hard work."

This attitude and treatment is the norm.

I think some perspective is in order. This is a dick move, no doubt about it. No disagreement here. But at the end of the day, that associate is making $160,000 a year to put up with this kind of thing, plus, in all likelihood, a sizeable bonus. I know, I know, money isn't the only thing motivating people, etc., etc., but for most people money matters a lot. This dude gets to live on the beach in Santa Monica and then go home and bitch about what a dick that partner is while he streams netflix on a gigantic flatscreen and pays off his student loans in record time. Waittresses work ridiculous hours and put up with all kinds of sexual harassment for like $12 an hour and no benefits.

Hell, even comparing apples to apples, public interest lawyers work for asshole bosses all the time too, usually a fair bit more than 40 hours a week, and for about 25-30% of the money and some IBR assistance.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 pm

SBL wrote:
Objection wrote:People still focused only on hours. Good little ostriches.

I'll give an example from LA big law. A couple friends were asked to write an article for publication. They were told they'd get co-authorship credit with the partner. When they finished, the senior associate who had passed the assignment down to them said "thanks. Unfortunately, we were mistaken about you getting authorship credit. Only the partner and I will be listed. But thank you so much for your hard work."

This attitude and treatment is the norm.

I think some perspective is in order. This is a dick move, no doubt about it. No disagreement here. But at the end of the day, that associate is making $160,000 a year to put up with this kind of thing, plus, in all likelihood, a sizeable bonus. I know, I know, money isn't the only thing motivating people, etc., etc., but for most people money matters a lot. This dude gets to live on the beach in Santa Monica and then go home and bitch about what a dick that partner is while he streams netflix on a gigantic flatscreen and pays off his student loans in record time. Waittresses work ridiculous hours and put up with all kinds of sexual harassment for like $12 an hour and no benefits.

Hell, even comparing apples to apples, public interest lawyers work for asshole bosses all the time too, usually a fair bit more than 40 hours a week, and for about 25-30% of the money and some IBR assistance.


You're clearly not in big law.

This associate is getting a $5000 bonus. Because that's market. Even though the firm in question has had a record year and PPP hit all time highs.

The associate likely does go home to a nice apartment, but because he gets home at 10, anyone who could possibly love and live with him is either in bed or ready for bed and not wanting to hear him bitch his same bitch as the day before. In all likelihood, he lives alone.

No time for Netflix. It's late, the partner just sent him an email letting him know that he will actually need that research on that obscure and irrelevant point of law tomorrow at 8 am, not next week.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Objection wrote:
SBL wrote:
Objection wrote:People still focused only on hours. Good little ostriches.

I'll give an example from LA big law. A couple friends were asked to write an article for publication. They were told they'd get co-authorship credit with the partner. When they finished, the senior associate who had passed the assignment down to them said "thanks. Unfortunately, we were mistaken about you getting authorship credit. Only the partner and I will be listed. But thank you so much for your hard work."

This attitude and treatment is the norm.

I think some perspective is in order. This is a dick move, no doubt about it. No disagreement here. But at the end of the day, that associate is making $160,000 a year to put up with this kind of thing, plus, in all likelihood, a sizeable bonus. I know, I know, money isn't the only thing motivating people, etc., etc., but for most people money matters a lot. This dude gets to live on the beach in Santa Monica and then go home and bitch about what a dick that partner is while he streams netflix on a gigantic flatscreen and pays off his student loans in record time. Waittresses work ridiculous hours and put up with all kinds of sexual harassment for like $12 an hour and no benefits.

Hell, even comparing apples to apples, public interest lawyers work for asshole bosses all the time too, usually a fair bit more than 40 hours a week, and for about 25-30% of the money and some IBR assistance.


You're clearly not in big law.

This associate is getting a $5000 bonus. Because that's market. Even though the firm in question has had a record year and PPP hit all time highs.

The associate likely does go home to a nice apartment, but because he gets home at 10, anyone who could possibly love and live with him is either in bed or ready for bed and not wanting to hear him bitch his same bitch as the day before. In all likelihood, he lives alone.

No time for Netflix. It's late, the partner just sent him an email letting him know that he will actually need that research on that obscure and irrelevant point of law tomorrow at 8 am, not next week.

Again, this ignores that a lot of other legal jobs are 80% as shitty for 30% of the money. Also the fact that a $5,000 bonus is trivial to you kinda underscores my point that you're being a little tone deaf. A lot of people grew up watching their parents bust their asses 60 hours a week for peanuts in shitty blue collar jobs - it takes more than a few ruined vacations and being left out of a footnote to make a $160,000 salary not seem like a pretty blessed life.

I'm not saying big firm life is fun or that we should all gun for partner. If it's not your thing, hey, cool. But I think you're overlooking the fact that for an awful lot of people the appeal of making that kind of money outweighs the shittiness of the work/hours for at least a few years, by which time they've moved on to something else anyhow.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

SBL wrote:
Objection wrote:
SBL wrote:
Objection wrote:People still focused only on hours. Good little ostriches.

I'll give an example from LA big law. A couple friends were asked to write an article for publication. They were told they'd get co-authorship credit with the partner. When they finished, the senior associate who had passed the assignment down to them said "thanks. Unfortunately, we were mistaken about you getting authorship credit. Only the partner and I will be listed. But thank you so much for your hard work."

This attitude and treatment is the norm.

I think some perspective is in order. This is a dick move, no doubt about it. No disagreement here. But at the end of the day, that associate is making $160,000 a year to put up with this kind of thing, plus, in all likelihood, a sizeable bonus. I know, I know, money isn't the only thing motivating people, etc., etc., but for most people money matters a lot. This dude gets to live on the beach in Santa Monica and then go home and bitch about what a dick that partner is while he streams netflix on a gigantic flatscreen and pays off his student loans in record time. Waittresses work ridiculous hours and put up with all kinds of sexual harassment for like $12 an hour and no benefits.

Hell, even comparing apples to apples, public interest lawyers work for asshole bosses all the time too, usually a fair bit more than 40 hours a week, and for about 25-30% of the money and some IBR assistance.


You're clearly not in big law.

This associate is getting a $5000 bonus. Because that's market. Even though the firm in question has had a record year and PPP hit all time highs.

The associate likely does go home to a nice apartment, but because he gets home at 10, anyone who could possibly love and live with him is either in bed or ready for bed and not wanting to hear him bitch his same bitch as the day before. In all likelihood, he lives alone.

No time for Netflix. It's late, the partner just sent him an email letting him know that he will actually need that research on that obscure and irrelevant point of law tomorrow at 8 am, not next week.

Again, this ignores that a lot of other legal jobs are 80% as shitty for 30% of the money. Also the fact that a $5,000 bonus is trivial to you kinda underscores my point that you're being a little tone deaf. A lot of people grew up watching their parents bust their asses 60 hours a week for peanuts in shitty blue collar jobs - it takes more than a few ruined vacations and being left out of a footnote to make a $160,000 salary not seem like a pretty blessed life.

I'm not saying big firm life is fun or that we should all gun for partner. If it's not your thing, hey, cool. But I think you're overlooking the fact that for an awful lot of people the appeal of making that kind of money outweighs the shittiness of the work/hours for at least a few years, by which time they've moved on to something else anyhow.


Are we going to get into a poor pissing contest? First generation college student, high school dropout parents, grew up in a suburb of Camden, and I am urm. Shove your implications.

$160,000 with no one to spend it on and no time to enjoy what you can buy with it is not a blessed life. It's not a life. You are trading your ability to enjoy what you could do with $160,000 for $160,000. That doesn't make sense.

A $5,000 bonus is trivial when you are being billed out at $500/hour and work 2500 hours. What matters is how you are treated relative to your value -- which the firm itself assigns.

Maybe 80% of legal jobs are shitty for 30% of the pay. But I would bet that none of those 80% come as close to being objectively shitty as does big law.

Being a PD might be shitty to some. Long hours, crappy pay, but guess what? You have tons of responsibility, you are actually working with people and helping people directly.

Going solo might be shitty to some. Long hours, crappy pay, high risks. But guess what? You author your own destiny. Your control your career, your rates, your work, etc.

The only redeeming quality for big law is exit opportunities 5+ years out and the salary. But when that salary comes at the price of sacrificing your entire life for 5 years, and when those exit opps only come about after that sacrifice, and when there's a good chance that you'll end up making less after 5 years than you were after 1, are they really redeeming?

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby thelawyler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's not objectively bad, although sometimes it can feel that way when you have really talented people who could theoretically could have done a lot of other jobs if they had planned properly earlier on.

But overall you are right. Objectively Big Law associates have nothing to complain about. Tons of people in third world countries work just as hard in sweat shops and make pennies. But of course, we all like to bitch about it. In the end, miserable is miserable. But it's on the good side of miserable.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm just saying that a job can't be that objectively horrible when 99.99% of the world's populace would jump at the chance to do it. I get that it wasn't your jam, but it's not as if every large firm associate is either (1) entirely miserable or (2) some brainwashed rube who doesn't know he's about to be entirely miserable. There are plenty of people whose attitude is more like "I'm often miserable, but hell, this'll do for a bit."

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

SBL wrote:I'm just saying that a job can't be that objectively horrible when 99.99% of the world's populace would jump at the chance to do it. I get that it wasn't your jam, but it's not as if every large firm associate is either (1) entirely miserable or (2) some brainwashed rube who doesn't know he's about to be entirely miserable. There are plenty of people whose attitude is more like "I'm often miserable, but hell, this'll do for a bit."


I agree. That attitude is often the case, although I believe it's more "I am always miserable, but this will do for a bit."

I am simply driving home exactly what makes it miserable, to perhaps steer people away (and let's be real, no one is going to listen to the rantings of a random TLSer).

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2086
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Biglaw is a self-imposed kind of misery. It's for people who like hurting themselves for lots of money. It's really not that big of a deal if you had to work hard in law school and/or UG to get where you are. I'm not complaining about my pay at all, but sometime I feel like I'm trapped in a Stockholm Syndrome of meeting arbitrarily ridiculous deadlines, never saying no to requests I get from the partners I work with most frequently, and generally being a paranoid perfectionist (like almost everyone in biglaw). I know I'm not going to get any sympathy, just like celebrities who have to "cope" with being famous don't get any sympathy for being prone to drug addiction and terrible relationships (which coincidentally happen to be two things attorneys often face). But at least I can bitch and moan on the internet with people like Objection to make myself feel better. That's really what this thread is about now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Objection wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few points based on personal experience, in the Bay Area at a firm/office with a pretty well-deserved rep as a sweatshop.


So whose career services office do you work for?

Being unhappy in big law is the norm, not the exception.

One simply needs to spend one, non-summer associate week there to see that.


Well, obviously I work at said sweatshop, where 2400 hours is a "normal" year (assuming you are doing highly substantive, intellectually challenging work, otherwise 2700 or more, or that much if you go to trial).

I've found people to be incredibly generous with credit. As for other points: You don't need to sign a brief, that's pretty dumb -- I'd like to see the junior engineer or architect at a firm get credit for their contributions. This is the kind of attitude is what gives 20-somethings a bad name in the professional world. You want credit for something or feel like you did something "on your own", do a small pro bono case, or write an article under your name or whatever. Or just work at your job and do well by your client and feel good about what you did as a team.

Also, people are really protective about vacation time, when people are sick, or have other things going on. People cover for each other, and with a few well-known asshole exceptions, partners are understanding too. Of course, this is for junior-level people -- as you become more senior, there's more of an expectation that you're on-call and available all the time, but that makes sense because you're critical + you're in that position of responsibility.

Of course there are terrible experiences in BigLaw. My point is that these are to some extent avoidable, and to another extent, something you can deal with by structuring your life and attitude towards the job. And, to some extent, unavoidable and that's just life -- you're going to get stuck in bad situations sometimes, and you need to figure out how you're going to deal with it, which may include leaving the job -- but note that you will have made a small fortune while you were in it at the time, which is NOT the case in almost anything else you could be doing.

Also, as for bitching and moaning -- well by all means we should do that. I complain about work all the time. But I also like to complain about the overly entitled whining of liberal arts majors who I suppose think they are too creative and intellectual and generally wonderful people for BigLaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Biglaw associate v20 hit the nail on the head. I think successful big law associates are a bit masochistic. I know I am. I think on some level you need to hate yourself at least a little bit to keep going.

sfhaze
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby sfhaze » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 am

v20lawyer wrote:This thread has devolved into way too much crying. Yes, biglaw can be tough (at times, very tough). Regardless, it's a great start to a career and generally isn't that bad all things considered.

Yeah, I thought the whole point of this thread was that the dude who started it likes his biglaw job despite the brutal hours, surprising even himself. Now it's become a vent session for those who run the gamut from mild dislike to absolute disdain of biglaw b/c of the hours, etc. Classic example of a thread derailed. I guess the point is OP's wrong or just hasn't been there long enough to grow to hate it for all the compelling reasons mentioned?

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2086
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 am

sfhaze wrote:
v20lawyer wrote:This thread has devolved into way too much crying. Yes, biglaw can be tough (at times, very tough). Regardless, it's a great start to a career and generally isn't that bad all things considered.

Yeah, I thought the whole point of this thread was that the dude who started it likes his biglaw job despite the brutal hours, surprising even himself. Now it's become a vent session for those who run the gamut from mild dislike to absolute disdain of biglaw b/c of the hours, etc. Classic example of a thread derailed. I guess the point is OP's wrong or just hasn't been there long enough to grow to hate it for all the compelling reasons mentioned?


The point is that almost everyone complains about his/her job. The only people allowed to say things like, "Oh my God, why are you complaining about your cool biglaw job???" are people who have never worked a real job. Even if you're one of the rare people who doesn't complain about what you do for work, if you've worked a real job, you know that almost everyone bitches about who they work for, what they have to do for work, how many hours they have to work, etc.
Last edited by ExBiglawAssociate on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: First year at a big firm; brutal hours; like the job. AMA.

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 am

That's why it is called work.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.