2L Summer Internship Offer - I'm worried I got Punk'd

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer Internship Offer - I'm worried I got Punk'd

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm

2L here. Received an offer over the phone yesterday to work at a major i-bank's legal department for the summer. It's actually a "summer associate program," but generally no permanent offers at the end. I'm pretty damn excited, because the experience will be really good and might open some doors for me come 3L, especially in the compliance area. However, I'm super paranoid that this is fake or they made a mistake. Ever since I got to law school, absolutely nothing good has happened to me until now.

The guy on the phone said that there would be a "DECO" HR service thing that would send me an official e-mail offer with details within the next week. He gave me his e-mail and number, which I checked to be legit. Is this something that usually happens with firms and banks? I'm thinking back to my friends who got big law SA offers, and they were all phone calls before the letter, but I'm not sure if anybody mentioned a DECO service.

I'm also worried because when they e-mailed me for the interview, career services sent me an e-mail saying I was rejected. And when the sent me the interview e-mail, they mentioned that I made it to the "first round," implying that there'd be more rounds. That was last week. However, after only a phone interview, 1 week later I receive an offer.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Summer Internship Offer - I'm worried I got Punk'd

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Who do you think would be punking you? If everything checks out with his phone number and e-mail I wouldn't worry about it since I doubt a the guy you talked to wants to mess with you.

jbiresq

Postby jbiresq » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who do you think would be punking you? If everything checks out with his phone number and e-mail I wouldn't worry about it since I doubt a the guy you talked to wants to mess with you.

If everything was done through the bank and not through a hiring service I wouldn't worry at all. HR can be a mess at these places.

joetheplumber

Postby joetheplumber » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Punked? NP, sue under contract law. Aww yea

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:46 pm

joetheplumber wrote:Punked? NP, sue under contract law. Aww yea

Under what theory?

Also, congrats on the offer. Not uncommon for large companies to outsource H.R., especially when they're hiring "temps." FWIW, I am clerking for a larg-ish insurance company and the one thing that you'll learn is that the world of finance is different from the world of "pure law" (i.e.: firms and the like) even when the two overlap.

When I got offered, it was a phone call and I didn't actally recieve an "offer letter" until my first day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm

would you mind sharing how you found the IB in-house internship?

thatgirlthere

Postby thatgirlthere » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

That’s really interesting. The same thing happened to me with the same type of employer, I received an email saying I hadn’t gotten the position, then was offered a “first round” interview. I haven’t received a call though, so maybe you got it. Why wouldn’t you believe it? lol

Return to “Legal Employment”