Asking Status of Application

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking Status of Application

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

I have been accepted to one position for the first half of the summer. They are giving me a deadline for the end of the day to let them know if I want to work the second half. If I don't say yes by today they may not have room for the second half.

I had an interview earlier in the week with a public interest organization that I want to work out. I think the interview went great and I have feeling they will give me an offer (niche public interest that I have a ton of experience in / good grades).

They said he would "try and get back to me by the end of the week." I'm starting to get antsy because I don't want to put my cards on the public interest group and then not get an offer and lose the chance to work the second half w/ the guaranteed job. But, I really want to work for the public interest for the second half.

My question is: would it look bad if I emailed the public interest today restating my interest and asking them when I should expect a decision, and telling them the first gig (which they know I have) needs to know by the end of today If I want both halves? I don't want to come off as putting then in an ultimatum.

Thanks.

lukertin

Re: Asking Status of Application

Postby lukertin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am

Wrong, you do want to look like you're giving them an ultimatum.

Anonymous User

Re: Asking Status of Application

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:46 pm

This isn't unusual. It would be fine to tell them that you have an offer outstanding and you need to make a decision on that offer today. It's the way the law school jobs work. When I received an offer with an expiration date, the first thing I did was call the other places I had outstanding job applications and made them aware. It helps everyone out.

Return to “Legal Employment”