3L Fall internship lol

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Fall internship lol

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Just received an interview for an unpaid 3L internship...that's awesome and all...but I still don't have anything for Summer (2L)...and it's unpaid. I'm so sick and tired of being a slave. LOL at this economy and the shit we have to take for it.

gdane

Re: 3L Fall internship lol

Postby gdane » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

What have you applied for? What are your grades like? Have you been projecting the frustration that you showed on here in your interviews? Have you had any interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I've applied far and wide. Been on some interviews. TT - Median pwned. Also, I have had constant "work" through LS, just not paid work and it's getting frustrating. I interview well and dont let it get to me so it's not like my frustration is preventing me from making $$$. I just have to laugh at not being paid. Also have to laugh at no 2L Summer job yet, but an interview for fall. *posted from work*

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've applied far and wide. Been on some interviews. TT - Median pwned. Also, I have had constant "work" through LS, just not paid work and it's getting frustrating. I interview well and dont let it get to me so it's not like my frustration is preventing me from making $$$. I just have to laugh at not being paid. Also have to laugh at no 2L Summer job yet, but an interview for fall. *posted from work*

Oh hi me but without the fall internship

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

not to sound like an asshole but you're median at a TT. what did you anticipate ITE?

User has been outed and warned.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to sound like an asshole but you're median at a TT. what did you anticipate ITE?

Nice anon callout

If this was 1L summer, I would have told these poasters to drop out, but now it's time to make the best of a shitty situation

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to sound like an asshole but you're median at a TT. what did you anticipate ITE?

OP here...first off, seriously anon? Now I LOL at you, not just my shitty situation. Secondly...how much debt do you have/will you have when you graduate? I have none. I will graduate with no debt, so I was probably thinking that a JD debt-free (minus the sunken costs of a non-stem UG degree job) was probably a better investment than not going...plus I'm one of the few that actually want to be a lawyer and didn't do it *just* for the money. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:00 pm

i'd forget about having fillers on the resume as you seem to have had several, and just focus on stuff you think will lead to them hiring you/people you can learn how to make $ and attract clients from. working for the sake of working seems like a waste of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'd forget about having fillers
Yeah, that's what I'm weighing. All my internships have been in-house, this one is is not like the others. It's actually a place I would love to work at when I graduate, but they haven't said anything about hiring upon graduation etc...Don't know if it is worth it to take the gamble and make my 3L fall a bigger pain in the ass than necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm weighing. All my internships have been in-house, this one is is not like the others. It's actually a place I would love to work at when I graduate, but they haven't said anything about hiring upon graduation etc...Don't know if it is worth it to take the gamble and make my 3L fall a bigger pain in the ass than necessary.

it seems like it'd be a fair q to ask them, and then if you trust your people reading skills see if you buy their response.

i'm only a 1L, but i personally am very against working for free. i got good grades, am at a top school and work hard. people say i'm spoiled (not at all a privileged kid) to expect a paid 1L job, and it's a joke. these people are brainwashed.

if you work and help someone else make money -> they should pay you a portion of that $. not doing so is stealing. taking advantage of people in a bad economy is shit. it's 1 thing to use it to negotiate a better price for an item on the market, but to use it to get free labor is bullshit. maybe i'm a bit too extreme on this issue, but i think these are the same scumbags who would have been slave owners back in the day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm

adonai wrote:Oh hi me but without the fall internship

HA, sucks to be in the same boat brother. Keep the faith, cuz that's all we got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote: but i personally am very against working for free.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone is against working for free. But, when Summer rolls around and you only have unpaid gigs lined up, you take the shit you've been given with a smile. I knew people that could only RA for profs or had to take Summer classes just so they didnt have a gap in their resume. I had 2 unpaid gigs that gave me good experience, just no $$$$.

I'll test the waters in my interview about the paid upon graduation situation, but I am not hopeful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:03 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:it seems like it'd be a fair q to ask them, and then if you trust your people reading skills see if you buy their response.

i'm only a 1L, but...

/proceed with caution/lack of experience w legal hiring

i personally am very against working for free. i got good grades, am at a top school and work hard. people say i'm spoiled (not at all a privileged kid) to expect a paid 1L job, and it's a joke. these people are brainwashed.

go on.....

if you work and help someone else make money -> they should pay you a portion of that $. not doing so is stealing. taking advantage of people in a bad economy is shit. it's 1 thing to use it to negotiate a better price for an item on the market, but to use it to get free labor is bullshit. maybe i'm a bit too extreme on this issue, but i think these are the same scumbags who would have been slave owners back in the day.

wut?

insert wut.gif

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

it seems like it'd be a fair q to ask them, and then if you trust your people reading skills see if you buy their response.

i'm only a 1L, but i personally am very against working for free. i got good grades, am at a top school and work hard. people say i'm spoiled (not at all a privileged kid) to expect a paid 1L job, and it's a joke. these people are brainwashed.

Dude most 1Ls don't get paying jobs because they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and don't add enough value to justify being paid. It's not a slave labor thing.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 am

So between 1L summer and 2L summer, you magically become qualified enough to justify getting paid? Seems lulzy considering how people always talk about not going to class or generally giving any fucks after 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 am

InGoodFaith wrote:So between 1L summer and 2L summer, you magically become qualified enough to justify getting paid? Seems lulzy considering how people always talk about not going to class or generally giving any fucks after 1L.

My experience makes me just as qualified as the other guys that copped that biglaw SA to earn 3K a week brother.

Return to “Legal Employment”