Too much networking? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too much networking?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 am

So I have a summer job this coming summer which I am very excited about. However, for various reasons, I want to keep my options open regarding location. The job is in one major market, but I am native to a different market. So I've been networking in my home market, and I've met with some associates, clients, and partners.

I'm wondering at what point there might be a risk that word will get back to my summer firm. I can't imagine that it is likely, since there are a hell of a lot of lawyers in both cities, and I mean, seriously, what are the odds? It would take the guy I'm meeting not only running into someone from my summer firm, but also remembering enough about me to mention it. But is there something I'm missing?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Re: Too much networking?

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a summer job this coming summer which I am very excited about. However, for various reasons, I want to keep my options open regarding location. The job is in one major market, but I am native to a different market. So I've been networking in my home market, and I've met with some associates, clients, and partners.

I'm wondering at what point there might be a risk that word will get back to my summer firm. I can't imagine that it is likely, since there are a hell of a lot of lawyers in both cities, and I mean, seriously, what are the odds? It would take the guy I'm meeting not only running into someone from my summer firm, but also remembering enough about me to mention it. But is there something I'm missing?
Just don't say anything stupid, like, "my summer firm's okay, but I REALLY wish I could work in <favorite city>." No one will hear or care if you have feelers out in another city still. It's not like the firm refrains from recruiting people who could eventually push you out of your job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”