Trouble getting a mortgage prior to starting job this Fall

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lukertin

Re: Trouble getting a mortgage prior to starting job this Fall

Postby lukertin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Banks are shit tier, use a credit union

guano

Postby guano » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:29 pm

lukertin wrote:Banks are shit tier, use a credit union

Use whoever gives you the lowest rate/closing cost combo

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
alabamabound wrote:I'm having the same problem (or "problem," as it were). One bank is willing to close w/in 60 days of my start date. That's the best deal we've found.

60 days is fantastic. Did you just shop around with smaller banks? From talking with a few bankers, it seems like the bigger banks are completely opposed to doing this. Looks like you are using an AL bank? I'll be in GA.

We have also considered asking one of our parents to co-sign the loan, but I would only do that if an express condition to the deal was that they would get taken off the note after I furnished my first paycheck. I'm not sure if banks really do that.

Yeah, I've found smaller banks and/or private banks are more receptive to doing non-conforming loans (conforming loans = ones they can sell to Fannie and Freddie and you won't qualify for those given your situation).

Return to “Legal Employment”