finding a second internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

finding a second internship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm a 2L at Stanford. We have an unusually long summer break that spans early june to early september (essentially 4 months)

I'll be summering at a firm in the bay area for the first half of summer. I want to find a public interest internship for the remaining half. I haven't started applying to places yet, as this was just a recent idea. I feel that given my odd august-september time frame, it'll be hard to find a second gig. Anyone have similar experiences?

Any leads will be great :mrgreen:

edited to clarify
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sparty99

Re: finding a second internship

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm

No. Shutup. You have a firm job. If you are smart enough to land a firm job, then you can go work at Mc'Donalds from August to September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:No. Shutup. You have a firm job. If you are smart enough to land a firm job, then you can go work at Mc'Donalds from August to September.

i'm not looking for a firm job for the second half, i should've clarified

i'm looking for a public interest internship as this is the career that i'm actually interested in for the long term. The firm job is to pay off loans

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:No. Shutup. You have a firm job. If you are smart enough to land a firm job, then you can go work at Mc'Donalds from August to September.

i'm looking for a public interest internship as this is the career that i'm actually interested in for the long term. The firm job is to pay off loans

"Public interest" is not a career. What kind of public interest are you interested in working after graduation? Pick those agencies and try to intern/extern there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

"Public interest" is not a career. What kind of public interest are you interested in working after graduation? Pick those agencies and try to intern/extern there.

I'm interested in working with immigrants and/or children. The problem is that a lot of the orgs that I looked into have set program dates for summer internships, which usually go from june-august. How receptive are these orgs to flexible internship dates? Is it even worth applying to them? Thanks

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i'm looking for a public interest internship as this is the career that i'm actually interested in for the long term. The firm job is to pay off loans

I'm interested in working with immigrants and/or children. The problem is that a lot of the orgs that I looked into have set program dates for summer internships, which usually go from june-august. How receptive are these orgs to flexible internship dates? Is it even worth applying to them? Thanks

For qualified applicants, many programs are flexible. Others can afford not to be, or choose not to be. It literally is an organization-specific question. Only way to know is to ask, broheim/broette.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 pm

I'll all for derailing on topic threads with trolling, but your little outburst is stupid lil breh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm

I know a few people who set up more ad hoc internships with smaller organizations that didn't really have a set summer program. Basically they just emailed a message saying they were looking for a volunteer internship, mini-cover letter, etc. You could probably do the same thing, and include the time frame.

Return to “Legal Employment”