to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I understand that there are a bunch of good questions for employers.

My question, though, is whether I should start answer this question by "first of all, I want to express my appreciation for your taking time to interview me and I am truly interested in the position with your firm." Then you go into the meat of your answer and ask any questions you have about the job/firm.

My feeling is at this point of the interview, you start to take the lead so you should have some "opening remarks,“ otherwise it feels a little weird for me to dive into the questions right away.

thoughts?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22836
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't understand why, if you're asked, "Do you have any questions for us?" you wouldn't just....ask questions. Opening remarks??

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Do NOT say that. That sounds utterly ridiculous.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Don't do that, it'd be weird. It is implied by the reality of the interview process that (1) the interviewee appreciates the interview opportunity and (2) the interviewee is interested in the job.

User avatar
sambeber
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby sambeber » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 pm

An interview is a conversation. Do you usually start your conversations with opening remarks? If so, then go for it.

usfvictor
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby usfvictor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 pm

you ask:
1."What do you like best/least about your firm?"
2."Do you see growth in the firm/ how is the firm handling the economic enviroment?"
3."Where do you see yourself in the firm in 5 years?"

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Just ask everyone "what made you want to work here." That usually provides fodder for the rest of the interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:36 pm

I usually asked:

Why did you choose this firm?
Why did you come to this city (if undergrad or law school was completed somewhere else)?
How did you get started in your practice area?
How do new associates get assigned into a practice area?
How does the summer program staff you on projects (if not readily apparent from website)?
What do you consider to be this firm's biggest strengths?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:Just ask everyone "what made you want to work here." That usually provides fodder for the rest of the interview.


That was almost my question; that or "what is your favorite thing about the firm?"
But I was pretty bad at interviewing, so I dunno if that's necessarily a good way to go.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Just ask about pay, vacation, and stuff like that.

biglawww
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby biglawww » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Opening remarks would make you stand out from the rest of the interviewees in a way that do you more harm than anything.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Anyone ever get asked this 2 minutes in. MBHB did this to me. He took one look at my UG transcript and I knew I was done. So I left after like 5 minutes of dreadful questions.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

keg411 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Just ask everyone "what made you want to work here." That usually provides fodder for the rest of the interview.


That was almost my question; that or "what is your favorite thing about the firm?"
But I was pretty bad at interviewing, so I dunno if that's necessarily a good way to go.

I think it's fine for the kind of interviewing we do. I use those questions all the time and judging from my interview results over time I'm at least average.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm probably average at best in interivewing, but I'm pretty sure vague general questions aren't what you are supposed to ask. Didn't stop me from doing it, but I think they should aim higher. But don't ask me, I was doing patent interviews for the most part. The aspie leading the aspie.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Have some balls and ask "when do I start?"

SammyJ
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby SammyJ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Don't do opening remarks. That's weird. Instead, you can ask:

1. Are there any particular characteristics or traits that enable associates at your firm to succeed?
2. I heard about this program that your firm has. Can you tell me some more about it?
3. How much responsibility are associates entrusted with?

Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm

guano wrote:Have some balls and ask "when do I start?"

:lol:

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
guano wrote:Have some balls and ask "when do I start?"

:lol:

I've gotten the job every time I asked that question

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone ever get asked this 2 minutes in. MBHB did this to me. He took one look at my UG transcript and I knew I was done. So I left after like 5 minutes of dreadful questions.
Had it happen in a couple of CB interviews, such a dick move by the interviewer. You're on a schedule and can't stall for 5 minutes and then jet because what are you gonna do, go chill in the hall? Especially when they have a designated person come to get you for your next interview at a set time

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Probably goes against TLS conventional wisdom, but I've always felt comfortable telling my interviewer that I didn't have an questions if I legitimately felt like the interview covered everything. By the time you get an interview, you probably already know everything about that job that they'd be willing to tell you anyways. I found not bullshitting always worked best.

Disclaimer: this coming from someone who got an offer from every 2L summer position I interviewed with (gov't, prosecution) and with a post-graduation offer at a prestigious office.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably goes against TLS conventional wisdom, but I've always felt comfortable telling my interviewer that I didn't have an questions if I legitimately felt like the interview covered everything. By the time you get an interview, you probably already know everything about that job that they'd be willing to tell you anyways. I found not bullshitting always worked best.

Disclaimer: this coming from someone who got an offer from every 2L summer position I interviewed with (gov't, prosecution) and with a post-graduation offer at a prestigious office.


Good flame but you ruined it by italicizing prestigious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Probably goes against TLS conventional wisdom, but I've always felt comfortable telling my interviewer that I didn't have an questions if I legitimately felt like the interview covered everything. By the time you get an interview, you probably already know everything about that job that they'd be willing to tell you anyways. I found not bullshitting always worked best.

Disclaimer: this coming from someone who got an offer from every 2L summer position I interviewed with (gov't, prosecution) and with a post-graduation offer at a prestigious office.


Good flame but you ruined it by italicizing prestigious.


To add to the "flame," I also was very honest with it came to ties to a particular area when interviewing for post-grad positions. I usually opened by letting my interviewer know that I had no particular desire to be in any location, but instead was more interested in the opportunities the job afforded me rather than the city. I definitely got some weird looks and I'm sure "Are you seriously not playing up ties in this interview?" went through a couple of prospective employer's heads, but ultimately all of my interviewers at least mentioned how they appreciated my honesty.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm

The best questions/topics:

1. If you could change one thing about your office or firm, what would it be?
2. How do you generally generate clients/How early do associates generally generate clients (just something that fits the conversation that relates to generating clients)?
3. Ask about leadership positions/networking organizations in your particular field (this works best if your interviewer is in the same field as your interest).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I like to lead into questions with, "You mentioned X earlier. How do you think that..." and then tie it in with one of the questions I typically ask in an interview.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: to answer the "do you have any questions for us" question

Postby Objection » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 pm

So awkward.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.