1L SA in Tax Group - Types of assignments?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA in Tax Group - Types of assignments?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

I'll be working this summer as a 1L in a tax group at a big-law firm. I'm K-JD so I don't have any professional experience and won't have taken any tax classes. Does anyone know what type of assignments I will be working on? I'm hoping to prepare some so that I won't be in over my head. Also, does anyone know of any books/websites that would be useful to get some background knowledge from?

vincanity1

Re: 1L SA in Tax Group - Types of assignments?

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 pm

OP: Wanted to add that the firm does federal and state and local, and planning and controversy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be working this summer as a 1L in a tax group at a big-law firm. I'm K-JD so I don't have any professional experience and won't have taken any tax classes. Does anyone know what type of assignments I will be working on? I'm hoping to prepare some so that I won't be in over my head. Also, does anyone know of any books/websites that would be useful to get some background knowledge from?

I interviewed with big-law tax group with tax-related work experiences. Everyone loved me (at least i thought), but I didn't get the job. Do you have any thoughts or tips on how to land the job?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP: Wanted to add that the firm does federal and state and local, and planning and controversy.

I did two summers of tax department SA-ing, and got a selection of assignments ranging from ERISA to SALT, tax controversy and Tribal tax matters. You'll likely be doing discreet research projects along the lines of other corporate and litigation SAs:
"Is [expense x] deductible?"
"Our company is contemplating selling the following assets--[list]. What (if any) transfer taxes apply?"
"Does [jurisdiction X] impose severance taxes on [Y]?"
"What are the penalties for not filing quarterly Form [x]?"
"This trust has the following language-[language]. Is [item X] included in the gross estate?"

Feel free to PM me with any discreet questions. Happy to help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP: Wanted to add that the firm does federal and state and local, and planning and controversy.

I did two summers of tax department SA-ing, and got a selection of assignments ranging from ERISA to SALT, tax controversy and Tribal tax matters. You'll likely be doing discreet research projects along the lines of other corporate and litigation SAs:
"Is [expense x] deductible?"
"Our company is contemplating selling the following assets--[list]. What (if any) transfer taxes apply?"
"Does [jurisdiction X] impose severance taxes on [Y]?"
"What are the penalties for not filing quarterly Form [x]?"
"This trust has the following language-[language]. Is [item X] included in the gross estate?"

Feel free to PM me with any discreet questions. Happy to help.

Thanks, that makes things a lot clearer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be working this summer as a 1L in a tax group at a big-law firm. I'm K-JD so I don't have any professional experience and won't have taken any tax classes. Does anyone know what type of assignments I will be working on? I'm hoping to prepare some so that I won't be in over my head. Also, does anyone know of any books/websites that would be useful to get some background knowledge from?

I interviewed with big-law tax group with tax-related work experiences. Everyone loved me (at least i thought), but I didn't get the job. Do you have any thoughts or tips on how to land the job?

As a 1L, I know probably less than nothing about the process.That being said, my thoughts are:

Obviously grades and fit are going to be really important. For me, grades are the single biggest reason I got this job.

In terms of tax specifically, it didn't seem to me like previous tax experience would be much of a boost (I'm assuming it was in the form of accounting work). Tax law is in the same ballpark of course but from what I've been told it's a completely different mindset. The attorneys I interviewed with (who all had some ridiculous credentials compared to me, hys mathematics summa cum laude undergrad etc.) thought it was funny that I was worried about not having an undergrad accounting degree. That's just not how they think of their job. They said the most beneficial might actually be an english degree because a lot turns on language and semantics. Basically, it seemed to me that their view was, if you're smart and legitimately interested in tax, we'll teach you the rest.

The other issue with tax is that the practice groups (at most firms) are so much smaller than M&A or something. There's just a lot fewer spots to go around and they're likely hiring with a very specific need in mind. I would just encourage you to keep after it. No one else at the firms can (or wants to) do what the tax folks are doing so you can be very valuable.

Return to “Legal Employment”