Showing Interest in a Firm When Classwork Doesn't

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Showing Interest in a Firm When Classwork Doesn't

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey guys,

I have an interview tomorrow on a day's notice with a firm that primarily specializes in admiralty/maritime law. They also do commercial litigation, but pretty much every attorney who works there does maritime as well as commercial litigation, so I'm guessing most of the commercial litigation has to do with their maritime clients. Regardless I have absolutely no classwork related to admiralty/maritime, though I do have some litigation-centric classes.

However, I am quite interested in the firm - particularly the size and city. How can I bring that out in an interview? They obviously would not have pulled me to interview if that lack of maritime experience really hurt me. Problem is, I can't really go gung-ho about how interested I am in maritime law, because that is clearly not reflected in the classes I have taken and will take. I'm not against it at all, but I don't really have anything to back up that enthusiasm.

To summarize; interviewing with a medium maritime/commercial litigation firm, but have no maritime experience. Very interested in the geographic location (as in, a bad job there would probably make me turn down better jobs elsewhere simply for the location). What do?

Renzo

Re: Showing Interest in a Firm When Classwork Doesn't

Postby Renzo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Classwork doesn't matter that much. Just have some good answers as to why the work they do sounds interesting to you.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Wear some topsiders and a blazer with brass buttons to the interview. You'll send the right message.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Tell them how much you enjoyed all those tort cases about boats crashing into each other

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 am

Wearing a Horatio Hornblower hat might be a little too much though.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am

2LsAPlenty wrote:Wearing a Horatio Hornblower hat might be a little too much though.

Probably, but you should definitely talk like a pirate, though.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 am

TTH wrote:
2LsAPlenty wrote:Wearing a Horatio Hornblower hat might be a little too much though.

Probably, but you should definitely talk like a pirate, though.

Why stop at talking like a pirate? Why not rape the interviewing partner's secretary, pillage his office, and down a bottle of whiskey during the interview?

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Because the official talk like a pirate day is September 19 of each year.

Return to “Legal Employment”