Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
I had better luck at loyola, it's probably just random.

I have OCI data for the past few years, it seems that the bigger firms that come to school usually have a generous ratio. But bigger firms that come to loyola for IP summers (as well as the smaller shops) are willing to bring in more people for fewer spots compared to the large GP offices. But obviously it's based on very incomplete data.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I have OCI data for the past few years, it seems that the bigger firms that come to school usually have a generous ratio. But bigger firms that come to loyola for IP summers (as well as the smaller shops) are willing to bring in more people for fewer spots compared to the large GP offices. But obviously it's based on very incomplete data.

Spots or offers? Because IP spots might take more offers to get a taker than general OCI spots.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Spots or offers? Because IP spots might take more offers to get a taker than general OCI spots.

Callbacks to offers. It seems from my OCI data that CB to Offer ratio is at 40% or better for the big firms, but a lot lower for IP spots (at OCI and Loyola based on what I was told by the firms)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 pm

There are fewer IP summers overall, so that plays in to the ratio when comparing.

As for how does the CB feel? Usually my take is

Giving the screener shows you have the grades/resume

Giving the CB shows you weren't a functional retard

Giving offer shows we want to work with you

THe CB is usually much more about fit than qualifications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mityt wrote:It seems as if one person has heard from Sterne Kessler, anyone else? If so, what practice area?

I got a call earlier today too. I interviewed for the Electrical practice area.

Were you able to set up your cb or are you still waiting?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Many firms segregate their IP and general summers, so IP summers are hold to a different standard. At those firms, you may be under qualifed for OCI/general summer but well qualified for IP summers. When you do IP callbacks you may meet with most (if not all) IP attorneys. And you may be confined to IP practice only if hired, even during the summer. Or maybe they will let you rotate/take assignments from other groups but you will only be considered for a permanent position with the IP group. This is obviously very firm dependent.

Okay, I feel a bit better at having a shot at least. At this firm, I can't meet all the IP people b/c I'd be there all week (they're not exactly Fitzpatrick, but big enough). I understand that we'll be considered for a permanent position only with IP department and that's fair, but I hope that the same percentage of IP SA's get permanent positions.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, I feel a bit better at having a shot at least. At this firm, I can't meet all the IP people b/c I'd be there all week (they're not exactly Fitzpatrick, but big enough). I understand that we'll be considered for a permanent position only with IP department and that's fair, but I hope that the same percentage of IP SA's get permanent positions.

I mean all 4-6 (or most of) of your CB interviewers will be IP attorneys instead of a mixture of groups. I would think IP summers will have a better chance of landing a permanent position because there are more in demand and they can't just pull a general summer to work in IP (but the reverse is true, they can pull a IP junior on a general lit project). And if you go for a 100% offer firm, they will offer the IP summers just the same because a summer is a summer when it comes to offer rate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 pm

mityt wrote:It seems as if one person has heard from Sterne Kessler, anyone else? If so, what practice area?

Sterne Kessler litigation. Same day offer as interview.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 am

Do firms communicate all CBs in one day? Like if someone said, "I got a callback from firm x" and I interviewed at firm x and haven't heard from them, is that a ding?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Do firms communicate all CBs in one day? Like if someone said, "I got a callback from firm x" and I interviewed at firm x and haven't heard from them, is that a ding?

No. One firm tried to give me CB in Oct. From Loyola. They may give a group CB invites, bring some of them in, give offers, and end up yielding no one and have to go back to a "reserve" group. Or maybe no one they brought in during the first wave even gets an offer because no one impressed everyone. You just never know -- if you have not been rejected, you are then still in the running.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 am

So 5 CB so far:

Mayer Brown (DC), Lowenstein (Palo Alto), White & Case (DC), Proskauer (Boston), Perkins Coie (Seattle).

That will be a lot of flying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Sterne Kessler litigation. Same day offer as interview.

me too (ee group). here i thought i was special. lulz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got a call earlier today too. I interviewed for the Electrical practice area.

Were you able to set up your cb or are you still waiting?

(same poster) I haven't gotten a chance to call them to set it up yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

r6_philly wrote:I have OCI data for the past few years, it seems that the bigger firms that come to school usually have a generous ratio. But bigger firms that come to loyola for IP summers (as well as the smaller shops) are willing to bring in more people for fewer spots compared to the large GP offices. But obviously it's based on very incomplete data.

That means that there just has to be a different feel between OCI and IP callbacks. It can't be based merely on fit (unless you conclude that PLIP people are less likely to fit b/c they're mor prone to be weird). There has got to be some difference between the two callback types to generate a different offer ratio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:(same poster) I haven't gotten a chance to call them to set it up yet.

So we are supposed to contact them? Or were they going to email? I thought email, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(same poster) I haven't gotten a chance to call them to set it up yet.

So we are supposed to contact them? Or were they going to email? I thought email, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Oh, I got a voice mail from a recruiter asking me to call back to set up the logistics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, I got a voice mail from a recruiter asking me to call back to set up the logistics.

Biotech Sterne Kessler here. The voicemail I got said that I'd receive an email today detailing the logistics of setting up the CB but that if I had any question, I could give her a call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Biotech Sterne Kessler here. The voicemail I got said that I'd receive an email today detailing the logistics of setting up the CB but that if I had any question, I could give her a call.

They also told me that I would receiving an email yesterday. Don't sweat it, they're just busy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 am

Anyone hear from Kirkland D.C. yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am

Or Covington DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am

WilmerHale?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 am

r6_philly wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Do firms communicate all CBs in one day? Like if someone said, "I got a callback from firm x" and I interviewed at firm x and haven't heard from them, is that a ding?

No. One firm tried to give me CB in Oct. From Loyola. They may give a group CB invites, bring some of them in, give offers, and end up yielding no one and have to go back to a "reserve" group. Or maybe no one they brought in during the first wave even gets an offer because no one impressed everyone. You just never know -- if you have not been rejected, you are then still in the running.

Ok but this is slightly different than saying they might communicate 1/3 of their callbacks on monday, 1/3 tues, and 1/3 weds. Is that a possibility --or do they do it in a big wave and then potentially issue a couple more down the road if the first wave sucks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No. One firm tried to give me CB in Oct. From Loyola. They may give a group CB invites, bring some of them in, give offers, and end up yielding no one and have to go back to a "reserve" group. Or maybe no one they brought in during the first wave even gets an offr because no one impressed everyone. You just nevnow -- if you have not been rejected, you are then still in the running.

Ok but this is slightly different than saying they might communicate 1/3 of their callbacks on monday, 1/3 tues, and 1/3 weds. Is that a possibility --or do they do it in a big wave and then potentially issue a couple more down the road if the first wave sucks?

Look, they can do anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 am

Agreed (that they can do anything). Since partners are allowed to make hiring decisions alone, they can call students back whenever they want to without coordinating with a hiring committee, the way an associate would need to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Agreed (that they can do anything). Since partners are allowed to make hiring decisions alone, they can call students back whenever they want to without coordinating with a hiring committee, the way an associate would need to.

Got an email from PG saying the recruiting team will convene later in August, so no CB yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”