Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very, VERY excited. 11 cb's thus far.

I really hope everyone starts hearing good news soon!

So THAT'S where all the CB's went. Congrats. What market(s)? Also, that's 11 out of ho wmany PS'S?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CBs today:

MoFo (email)/ Cooley (call) / Paul Hastings (call) / Kilpatrick (call)

which KT office if you don't mind?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: I got called for a CB on Thursday by one of the partners that interviewed me. He said his assistant would be in contact to schedule interview. I haven't heard from her yet, when do I reach out? The woman he mentioned is the recruiting contact on the nalp form.

Are you fucking kidding? Call her NOW !!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Forgive the ignorance of this... But to those that have been given CB's, how did the call go? Did they offer you a CB and you have a certain time to accept and arrange the CB?

Also, to those w/ multiple CB's, are you accepting all of your CB's?

IME, they almost always have called, although they do both. Can either be the interviewer or recruiting coordinator. Usually they just ask if you want in. A CB is just an interview, its not like you're accepting a job offer. If they are flying you in they'll work with you on the schedule from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Forgive the ignorance of this... But to those that have been given CB's, how did the call go? Did they offer you a CB and you have a certain time to accept and arrange the CB?

The most common situation for me has been a brief call from the person I interviewed with, basically just giving me the recruiting manager's contact information and asking me to call them to set up the interview, which then ends up being a lot of back-and-forth emailing. I was not given any time limits for arranging them, but obviously sooner is better (for you).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The most common situation for me has been a brief call from the person I interviewed with, basically just giving me the recruiting manager's contact information and asking me to call them to set up the interview, which then ends up being a lot of back-and-forth emailing. I was not given any time limits for arranging them, but obviously sooner is better (for you).

Seems like all the CB's are going to the same three guys.........

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Are we ready to talk about CB's to Offer prospects yet? Is the process different? anyone trying to trip us up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:--
CB today from Paul Hastings, Troutman Sanders, Desmarais, and Latham, all by phone.

congrats man!! was your latham cb for transactional or litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CB today from Paul Hastings, Troutman Sanders, Desmarais, and Latham, all by phone.

Thanks! Technically neither, as I wasn't preselected. Just stopped by the hospitality suite on Thurs and got an email that night asking me to interview Friday. I expressed interest in litigation though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question: I got called for a CB on Thursday by one of the partners that interviewed me. He said his assistant would be in contact to schedule interview. I haven't heard from her yet, when do I reach out? The woman he mentioned is the recruiting contact on the nalp form.

uh oh...I got a CB on friday, and I -thought- the interviewer told me recruiting would be in touch with me by email. I haven't heard anything yet and now I'm worried I misunderstood (it was right before another interview so I was kind of frazzled). Should I also be reaching out to recruiting? I'm almost positive I did not get any recruiter information though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! Technically neither, as I wasn't preselected. Just stopped by the hospitality suite on Thurs and got an email that night asking me to interview Friday. I expressed interest in litigation though.

I see, nice hustle. Do you mind saying who you interviewed with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously? I figure they are scheduling lots of CBs, maybe I'm just lower in the pile? Why in the world would I get a call from a partner and nothing? Seems awfully pushy, its been 2 days, not 2 weeks.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are we ready to talk about CB's to Offer prospects yet? Is the process different? anyone trying to trip us up?

Nationwide, not just IP, the rate is like 40% on average. Some firms cattle call, others are basically rubber stamps, but 40% is about right. It's definitely not yours to lose, but it's not a longshot either.

However, bad interviewers do a lot worse than 40% and good interviews do a lot better. So don't count on anything. There is no "safe" number of callbacks.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously? I figure they are scheduling lots of CBs, maybe I'm just lower in the pile? Why in the world would I get a call from a partner and nothing? Seems awfully pushy, its been 2 days, not 2 weeks.

You are right. Especially this early, some firms aren't even ready to do CBs yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You are right. Especially this early, some firms aren't even ready to do CBs yet.

That makes me feel better. I'll actually be out of town all this week. They aren't going to rescind the offer, and I'm local, so I'm probably easier to schedule. I figure if I haven't heard by Weds/Thursday I'll email her.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 pm

It does sound like NY firms are scheduling CBs before everyone else. Someone mentioned a few from Chicago, but NY is way ahead it seems

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are we ready to talk about CB's to Offer prospects yet? Is the process different? anyone trying to trip us up?

Nationwide, not just IP, the rate is like 40% on average. Some firms cattle call, others are basically rubber stamps, but 40% is about right. It's definitely not yours to lose, but it's not a longshot either.

However, bad interviewers do a lot worse than 40% and good interviews do a lot better. So don't count on anything. There is no "safe" number of callbacks.

So.... as far as "cattle call" v. "rubber stamp," I've got one call back so far and its from Fitzpatrick, does anybody know whether or not they fall into the "cattle call" category or the "rubber stamp" category? Because I would love for it to to be the latter, obviously...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

So, does a CB have a different feel than a screener (ecept fo the time)? Got a CB this Thursday with a firm that's way above my GPA (won't even bid on them at OCI). If I get a CB, am I on equal footing with all those others with higher GPA's?

mityt

Postby mityt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 pm

It seems as if one person has heard from Sterne Kessler, anyone else? If so, what practice area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

mityt wrote:It seems as if one person has heard from Sterne Kessler, anyone else? If so, what practice area?

I got a call earlier today too. I interviewed for the Electrical practice area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

So.... as far as "cattle call" v. "rubber stamp," I've got one call back so far and its from Fitzpatrick, does anybody know whether or not they fall into the "cattle call" category or the "rubber stamp" category? Because I would love for it to to be the latter, obviously...

Do you mind saying who you interviewed with at Fitzpatrick?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

In my experience last year, the Loyola callbacks seem to have much worse ratios than my OCI callbacks. I went on several Loyola callbacks where they brought in more than a handful (like 5-10) of people for 1 or 2 available spots (because IP summers are under a separate quota).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

In my experience last year, the Loyola callbacks seem to have much worse ratios than my OCI callbacks. I went on several Loyola callbacks where they brought in more than a handful (like 5-10) of people for 1 or 2 available spots (because IP summers are under a separate quota).

I had better luck at loyola, it's probably just random.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

So, does a CB have a different feel than a screener (ecept fo the time)? Got a CB this Thursday with a firm that's way above my GPA (won't even bid on them at OCI). If I get a CB, am I on equal footing with all those others with higher GPA's?

Many firms segregate their IP and general summers, so IP summers are hold to a different standard. At those firms, you may be under qualifed for OCI/general summer but well qualified for IP summers. When you do IP callbacks you may meet with most (if not all) IP attorneys. And you may be confined to IP practice only if hired, even during the summer. Or maybe they will let you rotate/take assignments from other groups but you will only be considered for a permanent position with the IP group. This is obviously very firm dependent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You are right. Especially this early, some firms aren't even ready to do CBs yet.

So, if NYC firms start CB's early, does that mean that the offer (or ding) comes quickly afterward?

Return to “Legal Employment”