Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, do you think it's safe to say that if you were interviewed by associates, the response time will be longer? I assume associates aren't allowed to make hiring decisions alone, so they'd have to wait till the recruiting committee meets before any decisions are made.

Probably means that your screening was just a resume drop. You're right in that associates are drones, without any real authority. Unless you do something spectacular (like dropping your pants during the session), nothing they say will influence the hiring committee.

Wait, so are you saying my pre-select interview was meaningless? Why would they schedule an interview for nothing, then? I thought that if you got a pre-select interview, you can assume the firm is genuinely interested in you because they don't need to fill up any # of interview slots at PLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, do you think it's safe to say that if you were interviewed by associates, the response time will be longer? I assume associates aren't allowed to make hiring decisions alone, so they'd have to wait till the recruiting committee meets before any decisions are made.

Probably means that your screening was just a resume drop. You're right in that associates are drones, without any real authority. Unless you do something spectacular (like dropping your pants during the session), nothing they say will influence the hiring committee.

Wait, so are you saying my pre-select interview was meaningless? Why would they schedule an interview for nothing, then? I thought that if you got a pre-select interview, you can assume the firm is genuinely interested in you because they don't need to fill up any # of interview slots at PLIP.

PR. Don't want to be that top law firm not interviewing tons of kids at PLIP.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

PR. Don't want to be that top law firm not interviewing tons of kids at PLIP.

Just saying that we all shouldn't read so much getting PS's at PLIP. It may seem a bit better, because they did an initial resume check, but in the end, they have to do another. The screener process is just to weed out the weirdo's or the clueless.
Reading past blots, I've concluded that this is still a crap-shoot, and anything can happen (pple w/ 24 PS's get one a CB or 2 and ppl w/ 2 PS's get 2 CB's, resulting in 2-Offers. Bottom line is to relax and grind through the process; don't be too discouraged by no (or little) progress, and don't be overjoyed or cocky with any development, no matter how cheery.
Finally, you can see why the fact that only associates ran the screening seems to indicate that your resume will unfdergo a second check before you get a cb or ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Covington NY ding via email today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Ding from the tool at O'Melveny. Man that was a terrible experience. The email didn't come from him, came from his secretary.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from the tool at O'Melveny. Man that was a terrible experience. The email didn't come from him, came from his secretary.

Please clarify. Was the screening itself terrible, or is it terrible that the scumbag didn't have the balls to ding you himself and had his underling do it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding from the tool at O'Melveny. Man that was a terrible experience. The email didn't come from him, came from his secretary.

Please clarify. Was the screening itself terrible, or is it terrible that the scumbag didn't have the balls to ding you himself and had his underling do it?

All around terrible experience with the guy. The screening interview was awful (and I've seen several posts on here saying the same thing from others). My secret suspicion, given the guy they sent and the fact that they were a late addition is that they have no intention of hiring anyone from the program, but I'd be curious to hear if anybody enjoyed the guy/got a CB. Also pretty crappy to not even have the email come from your email address. I generally assume all such emails are never actually drafted by the partner sending them, but you could at least keep up appearances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

All around terrible experience with the guy. The screening interview was awful (and I've seen several posts on here saying the same thing from others). My secret suspicion, given the guy they sent and the fact that they were a late addition is that they have no intention of hiring anyone from the program, but I'd be curious to hear if anybody enjoyed the guy/got a CB. Also pretty crappy to not even have the email come from your email address. I generally assume all such emails are never actually drafted by the partner sending them, but you could at least keep up appearances.

Shit. Based on my experience with Mayer Brown (NY), if it's the same as OMM, then a ding is coming

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PR. Don't want to be that top law firm not interviewing tons of kids at PLIP.

I don't know.... but IIRC, on Friday, Kilpatrick had 2 junior associates (a 3rd and 2nd year) conducting interviews.....or at least that is what they both told me in the HS on Thursday. Can someone who interviewed w/ them on Friday verify?

Just to verify that last year, I interviewed with one junior associate from Kilpatrick and received a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 pm

CBs today:

MoFo (email)/ Cooley (call) / Paul Hastings (call) / Kilpatrick (call)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CBs today:

Did you interview w/ the 2 junior associates from Kilpatrick on Friday? Or the partner on Thursday?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you interview w/ the 2 junior associates from Kilpatrick on Friday? Or the partner on Thursday?

Partner on Thursday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Partner on Thursday.

Ty Ty... Oh, and CONGRATS!!! That's fantastic news :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Partner on Thursday.

Ty Ty... Oh, and CONGRATS!!! That's fantastic news :D

Very, VERY excited. 11 cb's thus far.

I really hope everyone starts hearing good news soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 pm

CB Sterne Kessler (call).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from the tool at O'Melveny. Man that was a terrible experience. The email didn't come from him, came from his secretary

I was one of the earlier people complaining about that guy, but today I got an email saying that they wanted to "defer a final decision" until after OCI. No idea what to make of that, why not just wait to contact me then.

MoFo prosecution or lit?
--
CB today from Paul Hastings, Troutman Sanders, Desmarais, and Latham, all by phone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB Sterne Kessler (call).
Congrats, What department did you interview for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB Sterne Kessler (call).
Congrats, What department did you interview for?

Thanks. I interviewed for the Biotech/Chem group.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very, VERY excited. 11 cb's thus far.

I really hope everyone starts hearing good news soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:--
CB today from Paul Hastings, Troutman Sanders, Desmarais, and Latham, all by phone.

Grats that's amazing! What time did the Desmarais call occur?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 pm

In general, is there an average ratio of callbacks to offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Forgive the ignorance of this... But to those that have been given CB's, how did the call go? Did they offer you a CB and you have a certain time to accept and arrange the CB?

Also, to those w/ multiple CB's, are you accepting all of your CB's?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Question: I got called for a CB on Thursday by one of the partners that interviewed me. He said his assistant would be in contact to schedule interview. I haven't heard from her yet, when do I reach out? The woman he mentioned is the recruiting contact on the nalp form.

Return to “Legal Employment”