Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^
Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do. If you don't mind answering, how did PLIP turn out for you? Were employers more interested in you because of your 2L SA firm?
Yes, I think the 2L firm helped land screeners (particularly one GP firm that I would have considered way out of reach during 2L) and improved interviewers' interest in my application. Highly reputable 2L SA for patent work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do. If you don't mind answering, how did PLIP turn out for you? Were employers more interested in you because of your 2L SA firm?
Yes, I think the 2L firm helped land screeners (particularly one GP firm that I would have considered way out of reach during 2L) and improved interviewers' interest in my application. Highly reputable 2L SA for patent work.
Great to hear -- thanks. My SA firm is elite in its main patent litigation practice area. I'd like to work there after graduation (assuming I like it this summer), but personal reasons may lead me to explore another market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What did you tell these new firms as to why you were interviewing again as a 3L? Did anyone question you on whether you would really switch firms if you got an offer at your 2L firm?

I applied to PLIP just in case I get no-offered but I imagine Loyola will probably happen before I know whether I got an offer at my 2L firm.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What did you tell these new firms as to why you were interviewing again as a 3L? Did anyone question you on whether you would really switch firms if you got an offer at your 2L firm?

I applied to PLIP just in case I get no-offered but I imagine Loyola will probably happen before I know whether I got an offer at my 2L firm.
For firms in other markets, I said I wanted to move. For firms in that market I had no good reason. A lot of firms didn't bother asking. Latham grilled me on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

Tangentially PLIP related:

Should I send LoCI today to GWU (transfer EA app) making it clear that I want to be at GW and that I will be bidding for the PLIP OCI? I have sent previous email 3 weeks ago but am not sure if a 2d email reiterating my interest is necessary. They have not sent decisions yet...

I want to be able to put GW on the résumé for PLIP since my 1L is not as highly ranked...plz help!!

ETA: simplicity passwords have been sent!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:33 pm

A similar question was asked in this thread, but I was hoping I could get opinions on my particular situation. I have a 2L SA at a well known IP firm in NY this summer through OCI. I've never been to PLIP but registered this year in case things don't work out with my SA (though they historically give full-time offers to all SAs who don't fuck up). I'm not patent bar eligible yet (interdisciplinary major) and require a full year of undergrad classes to become eligible. I'm only interested in litigation anyway. I just went through the list of firms hiring 3Ls this year and came up with 6 firms that will interview non-patent-eligible 3Ls. (I'm only interested in NY or DC.) Is it worth it for me to bid on these firms or should I just mass mail them in July? I have really important travel plans July 31 and would have to change expensive flights to attend PLIP. If you guys think I might get results from mass mailing then I won't bid and can book my July plans now and be back in time for OCI/call back interviews. FYI I'm at a T25, top 30%, booked patent, and selected for publication on a secondary journal. My school has very limited 3L OCI but the firms tend to always want IP people. Would really appreciate any input!!

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:39 pm

1L. Accounting / Business background and 10 Credits of University Physics. Would need about 1.5 Semesters of sciences to be patent bar eligible.

MVP Top 1/4

I registered, but do I have a chance? Or Am I jut wasting my time. I have a free airline ticket in case I get an interview.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A similar question was asked in this thread, but I was hoping I could get opinions on my particular situation. I have a 2L SA at a well known IP firm in NY this summer through OCI. I've never been to PLIP but registered this year in case things don't work out with my SA (though they historically give full-time offers to all SAs who don't fuck up). I'm not patent bar eligible yet (interdisciplinary major) and require a full year of undergrad classes to become eligible. I'm only interested in litigation anyway. I just went through the list of firms hiring 3Ls this year and came up with 6 firms that will interview non-patent-eligible 3Ls. (I'm only interested in NY or DC.) Is it worth it for me to bid on these firms or should I just mass mail them in July? I have really important travel plans July 31 and would have to change expensive flights to attend PLIP. If you guys think I might get results from mass mailing then I won't bid and can book my July plans now and be back in time for OCI/call back interviews. FYI I'm at a T25, top 30%, booked patent, and selected for publication on a secondary journal. My school has very limited 3L OCI but the firms tend to always want IP people. Would really appreciate any input!!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm

chesterfan1230 wrote:1L. Accounting / Business background and 10 Credits of University Physics. Would need about 1.5 Semesters of sciences to be patent bar eligible.

MVP Top 1/4

I registered, but do I have a chance? Or Am I jut wasting my time. I have a free airline ticket in case I get an interview.
Aim for litigation and sell your love of patent law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 pm

is DC difficult to land if I am looking for IP lit only and am not patbar eligible? it is my home town.
should i bid NYC/ Chicago / or the SF region as well... they are places i would not mind working but i prefer DC.

basically, IP lit is my only route and i dont want bid myself out of an interview chance...

any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is DC difficult to land if I am looking for IP lit only and am not patbar eligible? it is my home town.
should i bid NYC/ Chicago / or the SF region as well... they are places i would not mind working but i prefer DC.

basically, IP lit is my only route and i dont want bid myself out of an interview chance...

I dunno, there are plenty of firms, but plenty of competition. What specialty do you think you can sell yourself as? What towns do you have ties to.

I wouldn't bother bidding chicago unless you have good ties. Silicon Valley is a good idea if you can sell yourself as CS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is DC difficult to land if I am looking for IP lit only and am not patbar eligible? it is my home town.

I dunno, there are plenty of firms, but plenty of competition. What specialty do you think you can sell yourself as? What towns do you have ties to.

I wouldn't bother bidding chicago unless you have good ties. Silicon Valley is a good idea if you can sell yourself as CS.
i was a systems admin and malware analyst before LS and have a good enough resume to show an interest in technology and technology processes (i am not a computer genius though)... i am down for california (SO is down for that too) but i lack the bio/chem/ hard science degree.

i just want options.... i currently attend a low ranked school and am praying to sweet baby jesus that GW sends me an EA acceptance, otherwise i am royally fucked because i am not sure if i can even get an interview from where i currently go....

i am; however, down for the ground game... and have no problem attending PILP and just resume dropping (with a summer acceptance somewhere) even without an interview on my plate.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

i was a systems admin and malware analyst before LS and have a good enough resume to show an interest in technology and technology processes (i am not a computer genius though)... i am down for california (SO is down for that too) but i lack the bio/chem/ hard science degree.

i just want options.... i currently attend a low ranked school and am praying to sweet baby jesus that GW sends me an EA acceptance, otherwise i am royally fucked because i am not sure if i can even get an interview from where i currently go....

i am; however, down for the ground game... and have no problem attending PILP and just resume dropping (with a summer acceptance somewhere) even without an interview on my plate.
I'd aim DC and Cal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote: I'd aim DC and Cal.
ok, perfect.... how should i go about limiting where i apply... obviously i wont apply to places that want hard science only... how do i draw the line from a firm that is "out of my league" ... use chambers and partners? vault? should i even care about that?

if they (simplicity) will accept cover letters, i will just do what a few legal recruiters told me and be direct and open with what i am looking for.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ok, perfect.... how should i go about limiting where i apply... obviously i wont apply to places that want hard science only... how do i draw the line from a firm that is "out of my league" ... use chambers and partners? vault? should i even care about that?

if they (simplicity) will accept cover letters, i will just do what a few legal recruiters told me and be direct and open with what i am looking for.

I don't think they do cover letters. I'd write a resume that is pretty tech heavy. Play up any programming you've done.

School rank, class rank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think they do cover letters. I'd write a resume that is pretty tech heavy. Play up any programming you've done.

School rank, class rank?
6% (w/ 2 book award's if that even matters) @ a TTT/TTTT
looking to transfer GW (waiting on decision) or GULC (was deferred EA to RD transfer pool)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

School rank, class rank?
6% (w/ 2 book award's if that even matters) @ a TTT/TTTT
looking to transfer GW (waiting on decision) or GULC (was deferred EA to RD transfer pool)
I'm probably not the best source for advice for TTT students with great grades.

What I'd do is find how many Patent lit firms are on in DC and Bay Area. You probably have enough bids to hit them all. I wouldn't sit here and try to figure out which firms are "too good." Let them decide. I mean Covington is probably a no go, but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't bid it.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

What I'd do is find how many Patent lit firms are on in DC and Bay Area. You probably have enough bids to hit them all. I wouldn't sit here and try to figure out which firms are "too good." Let them decide. I mean Covington is probably a no go, but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't bid it.

thanks!

how do i determine which firms are IP lit? by the "credentials" they are looking for... or hit up their website to see their clients?? confused :?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

thanks!

how do i determine which firms are IP lit? by the "credentials" they are looking for... or hit up their website to see their clients?? confused :?
Hit up their websites and look at what the attorneys do. What they looking for will tip you off too, but not as much as looking at their webpage.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:05 pm

For the firms that say they are looking for advanced degrees for their prosecution practice, would I be beter off (as a B.S.) to go for Lit with those firms, and if there is no lit option then to use my bid elsewhere?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote: Hit up their websites and look at what the attorneys do. What they looking for will tip you off too, but not as much as looking at their webpage.
thanks! i will get on it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Desert Fox, same anon as before... should i worry about selecting "no" for the patbar eligible filter or does that even matter...? it limits the firms but i am not sure if the "yes" option means only patbar eligible or patbar eligible preferred

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Desert Fox, same anon as before... should i worry about selecting "no" for the patbar eligible filter or does that even matter...? it limits the firms but i am not sure if the "yes" option means only patbar eligible or patbar eligible preferred
I wouldn't take it as a hard no, but I would really investigate what the firm does. If it does patent prosecution, I wouldn't bid. But if Jones Day says No, I'd still consider bidding them. It's just more risky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A similar question was asked in this thread, but I was hoping I could get opinions on my particular situation. I have a 2L SA at a well known IP firm in NY this summer through OCI. I've never been to PLIP but registered this year in case things don't work out with my SA (though they historically give full-time offers to all SAs who don't fuck up). I'm not patent bar eligible yet (interdisciplinary major) and require a full year of undergrad classes to become eligible. I'm only interested in litigation anyway. I just went through the list of firms hiring 3Ls this year and came up with 6 firms that will interview non-patent-eligible 3Ls. (I'm only interested in NY or DC.) Is it worth it for me to bid on these firms or should I just mass mail them in July? I have really important travel plans July 31 and would have to change expensive flights to attend PLIP. If you guys think I might get results from mass mailing then I won't bid and can book my July plans now and be back in time for OCI/call back interviews. FYI I'm at a T25, top 30%, booked patent, and selected for publication on a secondary journal. My school has very limited 3L OCI but the firms tend to always want IP people. Would really appreciate any input!!

Thanks, but I'm not sure this really answers my question. I do have something to lose--money on changing an expensive plane ticket and time with a very sick relative (which is why I plan to travel end of July, unless it's worth going to PLIP). I'd really prefer not to wait until June 28 to decide what to do so, again, anyone know if I have a chance at firms like Crowell Moring and Covington in NY or DC through mass mail or OCI if I do not pursue PLIP? Thanks in advance.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not sure this really answers my question. I do have something to lose--money on changing an expensive plane ticket and time with a very sick relative (which is why I plan to travel end of July, unless it's worth going to PLIP). I'd really prefer not to wait until June 28 to decide what to do so, again, anyone know if I have a chance at firms like Crowell Moring and Covington in NY or DC through mass mail or OCI if I do not pursue PLIP? Thanks in advance.
I don't know, but I got more interviews at 3L Loyola than anyone else I know who tried non loyola (but they were not IP). Can you just buy refundable tickets and cancel if you get an offer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”